Wooden Flute from Ireland

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JanCM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hey! I‘m Jan from Germany and I love Irish Music! I‘m interested in learning to play the Irish Flute. Greetings!

Wooden Flute from Ireland

Post by JanCM »

Hey!

I‘m searching for a wooden Irish Flute (keyless) up to 600/700 €, preferably from a flute maker based in Ireland. I live in Germany and don‘t want to order from outside the EU (tax etc…). Do you have any recommendations? I took a look at the flute makers list but it is a bit overwhelming..

Have a nice day! Jan
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Wooden Flute from Ireland

Post by DrPhill »

Would UK suit - not in the EU but I think we have the tattered remains of a trade agreement.....
If so Bleazey might be of interest, depending on what you want. http://www.bleazey.co.uk/flutepage.html
Exchange rate may make it a little higher than your budget. No connection other than a happy customer.

Likewise Millyard: http://tonymillyard.com/. A little lower on price. I preferred the Bleazey so traded up.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Additional cost of VAT and postage really has become prohibitive. I used to get a fair amount of stuff from the UK but that had come to an end. Stuff from the EU (or China, for that matter) is just a cheaper alternative, delivery faster and more reliable too, most of the time. And that is before even thinking of the EU consumer rights and protection no longer applying to purchases from the UK. Sorry to say it but that's how it is now.
My brain hurts

DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Ouch.... I did not realise the problems others would experience importing from UK.
<desperately trying not to get political>
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

Hi Jan,

You can try Francois Baubet who's in Galway. There are a few other makers in the Republic as well but I'm less familiar with them.

However, you could also go to Steffen Gabriel who's based in Germany? He makes beautiful flutes. There are also several excellent breton flute makers(Stephane Morvan, Gil Lehart, Solen Lesoeuf, Pol Jezekel, etc). Or Geert Lejuene in Belgium? Or Barna Gabos in Hungary.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

You might try Martin Doyle (www.martindoyleflutes.com). I had one years ago and it was a boomer. Should’ve kept it, actually!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV