Krazy Glue Removal

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Krazy Glue Removal

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Well, I just bought a used Clarinet and I've got a bit ofa dilemma... the Clarinet is made of a composite, or plastic material, not sure exactly what
The ThumbRest became loose and the previous Owner tried to glue it back with what may have been Krazy Glue or something like that
and in so doing some of the Glue washed to the side as well as below the Thumbrest.
The Glue is not raised at all and like I said just washed over the area.
Quick question, how to remove the offending Glue?
I'm Leary of using any solvents
What about 4000 steel Wool? :-?
Could the wash be polished out ? :poke:
Could leave it be I guess
Ben Shaffer
GSO,NC
As it turns out the Thumbrest is still loose and I'll have my local repair lady re-screw it :thumbsup:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Krazy Glue Removal

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Heat and acetone will both work, (but not at the same time!!!!) but both are likely to act on the composite material. I would try testing acetone on some part of the clarinet not visible, like, say, the inside of the bell. There are plastics that are resistant to acetone; also the acetone may dissolve the super glue more quickly than it dissolves the plastic. If I were considering this, I would paint a small amount of krazy glue inside the bell, then try to remove it and see what happens.

I just turned a few small wooden bowls as gifts for friends and used super glue as a finish. It makes a very good wood finish--waterproof, transparent, hard, sand-able, and very fast to apply
Last edited by PB+J on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Personally I would wait for your repair person to look at it. I am sure it would not be the first do it yourself repair she has run into.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Thanks for the suggestions Guys!
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

I repair lots of clarinets. Usually after the SuperGlue is hard, I can just scrape it off with an Exacto knife. Scraping at an angle sharper than 90 degrees will make it so that you don't leave deep gouges. Stell wool can then be used to clean up any scratches.