FS. Cocuswood 8 key flute, stamped BLACKMAN made by WYLDE.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutesoftheforest
antispam: No

FS. Cocuswood 8 key flute, stamped BLACKMAN made by WYLDE.

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

FS. Cocuswood 8 key flute circa 1850, Stamped BLACKWOOD and almost certainly made by Henry Wylde who also made for Rudall and Rose.

Having recently acquired yet another flute I am considering selling my Blackman (by Henry Wylde) 8 key cocuswood flute which is in good playable condition. The keys are Nickel (or German Silver) with all pads and springs working correctly. I am looking for around £900. If anybody is interested contact me and I will send photos etc.
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: FS. Cocuswood 8 key flute, stamped BLACKMAN made by WYLD

Post by rama »

Flutesoftheforest wrote:FS. Cocuswood 8 key flute circa 1850, Stamped BLACKWOOD and almost certainly made by Henry Wylde who also made for Rudall and Rose..

Blackman or Blackwood? and may I ask how can you assert Wylde made this flute?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Guessing that it may be this one. We'll probably get a fuller explanation soon....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

The flute is definitely stamped BLACKMAN.
It has never been advertised for sale before as it was only "rescued" just under two years ago.
The flute plays well at 440 with all notes sounding clear, although bottom C requires some practise.
The suggestion that it was made by WYLDE is based on a number of pieces of evidence. Firstly it is acknowledged that Wylde did make some flutes for the firm of Blackman. Secondly the keys are very well designed and made. The C/C# are interlocking keys and the long F and high C key show the springs slightly stepped away from the body of the key itself, a feature of quality flutes made by Wylde, also employed on some Rudall and Rose instruments. The final feature that clinched it for me is that the guide block for the log F key is very fine/narrow, unlike any I had seen before, until I looked at a flute stamped Wylde on Larry Mallette's website and the flute there shared exactly the same feature. Sufficient evidence to propose my theory.
The flute has been seen by two eminent and trusted flute maker/restorers in the UK who agree with my theory.
At some point in it's life the block for the short F has been replaced by a competent repairer. A fine crack to the tuning slide has been sealed also.
I hope this adds to the description.
Martin
Last edited by Flutesoftheforest on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
will marshall

Post by will marshall »

Steve Bliven wrote:Guessing that it may be this one. We'll probably get a fuller explanation soon....

Best wishes.

Steve
No, definitely not this one, because I bought it, still have it and enjoy playing it - whether it was made by Wylde or anyone else....
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Flutesoftheforest wrote: The suggestion that it was made by WYLDE is based on a number of pieces of evidence......
.....Sufficient evidence to propose my theory.
The flute has been seen by two eminent and trusted flute maker/restorers in the UK who agree with my theory.

Martin
thanks