Copeland as a Flute Maker?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Zeildritch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Musician, trader and collector. Interested in whistles, strings and Uilleann Pipes. Currently living in Europe, Uk and Ireland.

Copeland as a Flute Maker?

Post by Zeildritch »

Does anyone have any first hand opinions of Copeland Flutes? Any reviews?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Copeland as a Flute Maker?

Post by kkrell »

Some mention years ago when they were still being made and/or re-sold.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63709

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17721

L.E. McCullough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcuLHy ... e=youtu.be

I've had 2 Copeland flutes through my hands. As mentioned in one of the above threads, I had to sell one to pay for a keyed flute from Holmes-McNaughton (Norman Holmes is on this forum). Mine were good players, not earth-shattering, but good strong tone & easy-blowers. My recollection is that both of mine had the short foot.

I think that not all the Copeland flutes were consistent. For one thing, there were the older flutes Michael made himself, and then there were a few years when he was partnered with Jim Rementer, and there were some limited batches of flutes that came out in that period. I'm not sure the business relationship continued to everyone's satisfaction.

Also take into account that instrument quality or at least quantity of production may have been affected by a health issue Michael Copeland had at one time in his history.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My own impression of MC's flutes is that they are comparable to Dave Copley's,
at least to the flutes Dave made back when he used brass fittings. Michael once played
my Dave Copley flute and was suitably impressed.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

By the way, used Copeland flutes are being sold online at the Irish Flute Store.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've known one that was very nice. I haven't played others. That person sold hers when she had a chance for an Olwell so there is that comparison. If you are looking at the flutes at the Irish Flute Store he does have a trial period. That makes the buying process less risky. I do believe you play postage, but that usually isn't that bad. If you are buying privately I'd suggest you get a trial period commitment from your seller.
weebox
Tell us something.: I'm here because I play a low D-whistle and I'm selling a Copeland flute. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and join in with many Irish music sessions. I teach Celtic music at the local community college lead a Celtic music session at a pub.

Post by weebox »

I have a Michael Copeland. I bought it from a friend who needed cash - original owner who ordered it from MC in 1980's. It's lovely, warm and sweet at once. I would play the MC if I could. I'm petite, so I use a small-handed type. I will sell the MC soon, but it will be sad to let it go.