Swedish tunes on the keyless flute (or whistle).

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
linusorri
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I found a flute here that I want to buy and need to register to send a private message. I'm multi instrumentalist from Iceland and I organize a I T M session in Reykjavík.

Swedish tunes on the keyless flute (or whistle).

Post by linusorri »

Whenever I find a Swedish tune that I want to learn I'm missing notes on the flute to play them. So many if them use for example both 7ths. So I'm looking for Swedish tunes that work on the flute without having to half hole, I'm not ready for that dimension yet.

So far I've only come up with a few:
Begåvningsmarchen
Härjhalling
Brudhisslåt efter Perols Gudmund
Getapolskan
Matt_Paris

Re: Swedish tunes on the keyless flute (or whistle).

Post by Matt_Paris »

I really love Swedish music... To keep its very specific sound, I'd recommend adding keys to your flute. You really need those 7ths :)

Do you have a source of (notes or abc) sheet music for Swedish traditional ? I'd be very interested
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Henrik's Irish trad. ABC site has over 400 Swedish tunes so far in both notation and ABC-format: http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/
linusorri
Tell us something.: I found a flute here that I want to buy and need to register to send a private message. I'm multi instrumentalist from Iceland and I organize a I T M session in Reykjavík.

Post by linusorri »

Folkwiki.se is the go to site but it's not nice to navigate.
ælfléoð
Tell us something.: Formerly a drummer, nowadays a Bagpipe player and can play the Medieval and Highland and now having a go at the English Uilleann Pipes. Also play the drums and can knock out a basic tune on the Tin whistle and Recorder.

Post by ælfléoð »

Perhaps the most well known Swedish song of them all is Herr Mannelig.

It will work on a Keyless whistle, it's the first song I learnt on the bagpipes, and the first song most bagpipers learn, a very simple song to play, however it sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHICdvDfjxg
Currently learning the Traditional Irish Didgeridoo
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Thank you very much! apparently, I'll have to practice my Svensk...
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Matt I'll translate the Folkwiki page. Here's the first bit:

Welcome to FolkWiki, a Wiki page with musical notation of Swedish and Scandinavian folk music! The vision is that this Wiki will be a good resource of tune material that will be useful for all folk musicians. When there is a significant database of tunes collected, there will be interesting possibilities, such as searching for phrases in the music, comparison of song versions, etc. For the database to be useful, we need help from you! Share your tunes, suggestions for arrangements, second parts, backing, etc. Wikin is primarily intended for the abc format, but you can also upload notation in the form of pdf or jpg. Wikin is constantly under development and if you have ideas, or are interested in helping, you can go in under "Wiki on Wikin" and participate in the discussion there. There are currently a total of 3998 tunes in the Wiki! Here comes one of them randomly chosen:
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

(Steampacket, it's super nice of you, but I actually understand Swedish a little bit... My brother lives in Stockholm with his wife and two French-Swedish kids.)

That said, this will probably be handy for people interested in Nordic music :)
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Ok Matt. This quick translation to English is for any others interested in Swedish tunes via folkwiki.se:

Welcome to FolkWiki

A Wiki page with musical notation of Swedish and Scandinavian folk music! The vision is that this Wiki will be a good resource of tune material that will be useful for all folk musicians. When there is a significant database of tunes collected, there will be interesting possibilities, such as searching for phrases in the music, comparison of song versions, etc. For the database to be useful, we need help from you! Share your tunes, suggestions for arrangements, second parts, backing, etc.

Wikin is primarily intended for the abc format, but you can also upload notation in the form of pdf or jpg. Wikin is constantly under development and if you have ideas, or are interested in helping, you can go in under "Wiki on Wikin" and participate in the discussion there. There are currently a total of 3998 tunes in the Wiki!

There are beginning to be a number of duplicate tunes in the Wiki. So before adding a tune, please search through the Wiki to see if the tune is already available so we save duplicate work. If you think you have another version of an already existing tune that's interesting, add it to the bottom of the existing page.

How do I find notation to a tune?:

There are several ways to find the notation to a tune:

Click the "All tunes" (Alla låter) link in the menu to the left and get a list of all notation in the wiki

Click "tunes by category" (Låter efter kategori) and then on to the right category where you hope to find the tune you are looking for

Click on "Tune lists" (Låtlistor) and then on a track list someone made to collect tunes.

Use the search box in the top right:

Click Notebooks (Nötböcker) under Category (Kategori) to see tunes in "Notebooks" such as Swedish tunes (svenska låtar)

If the tune is not posted, enter it on the wish page so maybe someone will kindly add it!

I want to contribute tunes how do I do?

Feel free to try to see if the tune has already been posted! This avoids duplication. If you have another version of a tune, it's easiest to put it on the same page as the existing version, making it easier to find!

If the tune you want to add does not already exist on the Wiki, do the following:

Create a new tune using the button below

Change the stored values in the template, such as key, tune type, etc.

Enter the music in abc-format between (: music :) and (: musicend :)
Click on "Save"

Please look at the list of wish lists, and see if you can add any of them!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

linusorri wrote:Whenever I find a Swedish tune that I want to learn I'm missing notes on the flute to play them. So many if them use for example both 7ths. So I'm looking for Swedish tunes that work on the flute without having to half hole, I'm not ready for that dimension yet.
If it's just the sevenths that you're talking about, then getting the flat seventh is easy on any keyless flute, without having to half-hole (although some say it's better to do so). Most people will use the standard, "Irish" cross-fingering for a Cnat: OXX OOO.

Does that help? Not if you're talking about tunes in G, I suppose ... but then, that might be the answer: look for tunes either already in D, or transpose them to D. Problem solved! :)
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

benhall.1 wrote:(...)
Does that help? Not if you're talking about tunes in G, I suppose ... but then, that might be the answer: look for tunes either already in D, or transpose them to D. Problem solved! :)
Actually there a re a lot of tunes in Swedish music that use minor keys with major 7th, so for example, you'll need a D# in E minor, or A# in B minor... Those notes can't be played easily on a keyless...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Matt_Paris wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:(...)
Actually there a re a lot of tunes in Swedish music that use minor keys with major 7th, so for example, you'll need a D# in E minor, or A# in B minor... Those notes can't be played easily on a keyless...
Ah. Minor keys with major seventh would be trickier. Oh well. :(
will marshall

Post by will marshall »

You could just get hold of Vicki Swann's book "Scandinavian Folk Tunes for Flute". Among its 73 traditional tunes (most of them arranged as duets) there should be few you fancy and (from memory), there are plenty of major sevenths. The book is is in the Schott World Music Series and includes a CD with many of the tunes on it. Vicki, by the way, is a flautist but also a leading exponent of the Swedish nickelharpa and the Swedish bagpipe.
linusorri

Post by linusorri »

Bingo! Tack Will. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
linusorri

Post by linusorri »

I found this playlist of swedish tunes played on keyless flute:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4f_XegWs8X