FS: Peter Noy Flute, Key of D, 5-key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bejubi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: Peter Noy Flute, Key of D, 5-key

Post by bejubi »

(Also posted in Used Instruments Exchange)

This was my first real flute and it's a doozy! It's responsive, good volume, and beautiful tone, with Peter Noy's distinctive embouchure plate and bone blowing edge. It's gone through the hands of at least Patrick Jones and Jessie Driscoll who said "This is the best playing flute I ever owned". It's also beautiful to see.

I'm selling it because the Great Lakes region of the US is unkind to wooden flutes. With fluctuating humidity between 85% and 12%, particularly during the winter, 90% of all cracked wooden instrument insurance claims in the US come from this region. I've had 2 hairline cracks on the outside, back side of the headjoint professionally repaired (see photo DSC_1515). Since then, I've keep the flute in a sealed plastic case at 70% humidity and have had no other issues. This flute should be in someone's hands who can enjoy it.

For photos, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bejubi/al ... 0849900338

Specs (D flute):
• D foot
• Sterling silver tuning slide, ferrules and keys
• 5 block-mounted keys: Eb, short F, G#, Bb and C
• Thinned, unlined headjoint with bone blowing edge
• X-cut embouchure
• Beautifully turned screw-in endcap
• Spectacular craftsmanship
• Incredibly rich, lovely tone

Asking $2,900
Shipping to US: depending on location, approx. $55
Shipping to Europe: depending on location, approx. $135
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Re: FS: Peter Noy Flute, Key of D, 5-key

Post by kmag »

For those of you wondering what the X head embouchure is like it is a large embouchure with a big sound that can also play at low volume since the cut is very flexible to play. It was designed with the input of the strong flute player from Clare named Leo MacNamara and besides being larger than normal it is somewhat a hybrid between an oval Pratten head and a modern cut, but larger. Despite being larger it speaks easily and does not have a larger than normal air requirement since it is also a very efficient cut. It is called the X because Peter kept making new heads and Leo kept saying it needs something, X, in the next one. They went through many trials to come up with this cut.

If it had been available when I got my Noy flute I probably would have purchased it although I love the Pratten style embouchure on my Noy. This is bound to be a great flute for someone that is looking for a professional quality flute. Peter is known for very consistent work done to a high standard.

The rest of the description is very clear. Just my two cents. If I did not already have a six key flute from Peter I would jump on this one.
bejubi

Re: FS: Peter Noy Flute, Key of D, 5-key

Post by bejubi »

This flute has been sold.