Uses for Eb, C, Low Bb flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Uses for Eb, C, Low Bb flutes

Post by NicoMoreno »

Another example of cross-tuning: https://dylanfoley.bandcamp.com/album/t ... connection
(Also regular D flute, C flute with C fiddle, and Eb flute with Eb fiddle, besides the afore-referenced F flute with C fiddle).

@rmvanhorn:
Different contexts, a short bullet-point list:
- Play the tunes you know (and at speed), using your normal fingering, on a different keyed instrument
- For playing with others, choose an instrument to match theirs OR have them choose an instrument to match the one you like playing

Besides the above two recordings, a couple examples of context:
I have a B flute (not Bb) because I have a set of pipes I prefer to play in that key, and I like to not make fiddlers retune if I decide to pick up the flute. I also lend it to friends as needed so they can join in. Here's how it sounds: https://soundcloud.com/nicolaslbrown/i- ... cow-polkas
I have an F flute that is an absolute joy to play, so I play it whenever I can, with or without others (it actually tunes sharp enough that I can play it as an F# flute with the B instruments...) So the context for that is often solo. Both of these instruments are by John Gallagher, as is my D flute.

By the way, Mr.G, good photo - Sean and Jesse are great musicians.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Uses for Eb, C, Low Bb flutes

Post by Mr.Gumby »

good photo
Not really, I had taken position before they started with sightlines just between mics. Ofcourse as they sat down Sean Gavin moved the mic stand and put it where the mics was right in front of his face the whole time. This was just about the only moment he leaned out slightly. I could have moved around but didn't want to walk out in front of everybody to get my snaps. Got good ones of Jesse though. They played lovely, enjoyed that. An hour well spent (it was a lunchtime concert at the Galway Arts Festival).
My brain hurts