Question about olwell waiting list

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
meoweth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Question about olwell waiting list

Post by meoweth »

Been on the waiting list just over one year at this stage. I sent a couple emails inquiring about things and they have gone un-replied. Seems odd, anyone else getting no replies back? Not trying to be pushy or anything as I understand the wait is long and well-worth every minute.

The email I've been talking to is: olwellflutes@gmail.com
bigsciota

Re: Question about olwell waiting list

Post by bigsciota »

Are you waiting for a keyed or keyless flute? The waiting time is considerably different, so the answers you'll get would be as well. If it's a keyed, you've got a long way to go and there is probably not much to update. If it's a keyless flute, however, you should be getting close to the front of the line, so I'd be more persistent about getting a reply.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The summer music festival season is underway and the Olwells might be otherwise engaged at the moment. If you’re on Facebook try sending a message via the Olwell Flutes page.
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

That's the email (olwellflutes@gmail.com) I used to contact him when I got on the waiting list for a keyless flute in February. Every time I emailed he replied around a day later, but I haven't talked to him since February. It is the summer and festival season as others have said. They might be on vacation or away from their shop. I know a lot of us are used to getting immediate responses to emails (especially if you work with computers like I do!). Craftsmen/Artisans seem to be a little different sometimes...especially when they have a product in demand and have huge waiting lists. Olwell has a great reputation though so I'm sure you'll hear something soon.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

One thing to remember when contacting makers for update is that for some of us, it puts a kind of pressure on that is counterproductive.

Instead of inspiring us to work harder and faster, it causes some of us to want to do something else and perhaps place your flute farther back in the queue in response.

Our work always turns out best if we can make these items under less pressure. Some of us simply handle that by not responding usually because we would rather devote our energies and limited life span to making the flutes than spend time returning phone calls or answering emails on the computer. I for instance, got rid of my land line so that I have just a little more buffer. I am not giving out my cell number.

I am sure it could be debated if this is a good business practice but remember that for many of us, we are artists first and business people second.

I try to keep my wait times as short as possible so as to avoid that pressure but even when it is 2 to 3 months, I often get contacted by people who want to know if their flute is on the final approach - only a week or two after ordering!

Next year I am considering going to a system where I stop taking orders entirely, but can put people on a waiting list queue and if I have the time to make something, I'll formalize the order and make it. If not, I haven't committed myself to anything. Meanwhile, I would build an inventory of completed flutes from which people can purchase via my website. However, my current system seems to work okay - I may put this off until I am also collecting Social Security.

Casey
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Just spoke to Paddy O. There are two people making flutes in Olwellville. Pat is working overtime these days, and is getting ready to go to Boxwood. He is on the road and having ancient (1995) Volvo problems. Aaron's piano bus broke down on the way back from Irish Week in the Catskills, and he's trying to get it back to Virginia. They promise to answer all emails in due time.

They are outstanding musicians first, which is why their instruments are so good. They are not money hungry, which we love about them. Their flutes are, in fact, underpriced. Olwell flutes are not the most expensive flutes on the market, except once a year, when Patrick auctions his very special "Birthday Flute." Sometimes getting a flute from Olwell is neither easy nor convenient.

Patience is a virtue. The notorious wait-list is a big pain for all of us. But we would rather wait and have something special than get something sooner that is not quite as good.

The wait is worth it. Keep the faith.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well said. Extraordinary people.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Casey Burns wrote: I try to keep my wait times as short as possible so as to avoid that pressure but even when it is 2 to 3 months, I often get contacted by people who want to know if their flute is on the final approach - only a week or two after ordering!

Next year I am considering going to a system where I stop taking orders entirely, but can put people on a waiting list queue and if I have the time to make something, I'll formalize the order and make it. If not, I haven't committed myself to anything. Meanwhile, I would build an inventory of completed flutes from which people can purchase via my website. However, my current system seems to work okay - I may put this off until I am also collecting Social Security.

Casey
Casey, out of curiosity... in your perception, at what point does it become appropriate for a patron to inquire regarding an order? Like month after originally quoted date? Twice the quoted time? Never?
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

In some instances, all one has to do for my Folk Flutes is check the Folk Flute website and I usually keep an up to date progress report that folks can check. Other makers might consider doing this. also, if I get into a pinch such as I did the first 6 months of the year I'll send out a blanket email to my awaiting clients. I am about to do the same with the ones who will get flutes this fall.

There is no way to set a time limit as to when it is appropriate to call or write, unless one is past the expected delivery date. Say you have been told to start expecting your flute in 3 months. Why then is it necessary to call write at 1 month when you will usually get the same answer? Perhaps 1 month after the expected delivery date would be appropriate.

Most forget that we makers like to have our evenings and weekends off. But that is when our clients have their time off and that seems to be the easiest time for them to contact us. It would be nice to forget about work for a few days sometimes by golly, but I usually try to respond so I don;t start my workweek at the computer instead of the lathe. Email has less impact than a phone call but in some ways an email arriving and seen Sunday mornings feels like an inappropriate intrusion sometimes. Especially if the maker is feeling guilty for actually being late but due to unfortunate circumstances such as having recently had the flu or other illness.

Always email and wait for a response before you call on the phone.

Also, remember that there are time zones. Its a good idea to simply google the current time. Some people in London think that their 8AM is our 4PM. In the past I have gotten calls from British clients and one supplier at midnight! More commonly East Coast clients will start calling at 5AM, thinking it is 8AM here.

Some makers get fed up. I heard a story once about a famous maker of important accordions getting a call just as he and his family and several guests were just about to sit down for Easter Sunday Dinner when the phone rang. He shushed everybody and put the phone on speakerphone. Of course it was someone wondering when he was going to get his instrument. The maker said "Son, do you know what day of the week it is?" The guy said "Uh....Sunday". The maker said "And do you know WHAT Sunday today is?" The guy on the phone started sounding nervous when he said "Oh, I guess its Easter." The maker said "That is correct. And Son, do you know what we do here down in the South about this time on every Easter Sunday?" The caller tried to get a word in and apologize. The maker continued "Son, here I am on Easter Sunday with a house full of all my family and friends with a hot turkey that my wife just served along with all of the mixings and everyone is just about to sit down and eat - and you have the Gall to call me and ask when your instrument is ready. You have already been told that it will be next year. Well Son, it will never be ready. You don't deserve one of my instruments. I am taking my checkbook out right now and sending your deposit back!" At that point the caller was saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!!" Meanwhile, all of the guests and family about to sit down for dinner were in hysterics and the maker had a big grin on his face as he continued to abuse his client. He was just playing the caller like a fish on a hook. The chastened client probably got his accordion eventually.

Several years after I heard this story I wanted to purchase one of this maker's instruments for my wife Nancy. Had a lovely and long phone conversation when I ordered (on a Thursday, and not during lunch time) and asked if this story was indeed true - I had gotten it from another friend who was one of the alleged dinner guests. The maker said "You have no idea...." and I responded "Actually, I do!"

The accordion arrived the following Wednesday and is magnificent. He just happened to have one about ready.

Casey
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Thanks for the feedback and the story, Casey. :)
weebox
Tell us something.: I'm here because I play a low D-whistle and I'm selling a Copeland flute. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and join in with many Irish music sessions. I teach Celtic music at the local community college lead a Celtic music session at a pub.

Post by weebox »

I know someone who waited 8 years for an Olwell. I’m not sure if that’s fake news, but when I ordered a CB instead, I was thinking I might not live another 8 years. I ordered 4 months ago with a likelihood that my flute would arrive before Lark camp. I’m starting to doubt it will arrive before then, but I imagine the flute will be even MORE brilliant as a result of my calm and patience. I never interrupt the artist.
Roxx
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

FWIW, I’ve a friend that got on the list for a keyless back in December and was quoted 7 to 9 months.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Roxx, it won't arrive unfortunately!

Its been a grunt this summer getting work out the door for various reasons including health (fatique) and home construction managing. Was hoping for a week off to prepare before Lark but I just finished and mailed off some $14,000 worth of flutes yesterday and yours isn't among the ones I finished unfortunately. Late August/early September at this point.

I really appreciate your patience!!!

Meanwhile I will have examples of my end cap Guilloché at Camp as well as several other examples. Find me (am usually in Camp 2 with the Galician stuff in the afternoons and free most mornings). I do have one of my Large Holed Standards with me for David Brown to test - I'm making him a 6 key as well as modifying an old Thibouville 5 keyed flute into a Cuban Charanga flute for him. I also have a Folk Flute factory-second I'll bring if you need something to play in sessions or workshops.

Here is a shot of some of the artwork on the flutes mailed off yesterday. Am enjoying making this Rose Engine -turned bling for my instruments!

See you at Camp!

Casey
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

I sent an email to them 3 years ago asking for their waiting list and I never recieved any answer. A friend who knows Aaron offered to facilitate the contact but finally I decided on another maker.

David
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
niallt

Post by niallt »

I waited about a year for my first Olwell (blackwood, no keys). As soon as it arrived, I went on the list for a 6 key blackwood. I waited about 7 years for this second flute.

For me, they're both perfect flutes and I've no desire to buy any more flutes, so it's cured me of the dreaded Obsessive Compulsive Flute Acquisition Syndrome.