Erik the Flutemaker's new carbon fibre 'Irish' flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Erik the Flutemaker's new carbon fibre 'Irish' flute?

Post by keithsandra »

Has anyone here tried this yet? He's getting excellent reviews on his web page.

Best wishes,

K.
Laura
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for about 6 month, would love to get some tips on playing. I have several flutes and each one is a bit of a challenge but I am enjoying the differences on each one. I do have some question about particular flutes and their characteristics. I hope to talk to some that have played the tin flute for years and have some great information to draw from. I would also love to find more music through this forum and perhaps some great places to learn more about ornaments.

Re: Erik the Flutemaker's new carbon fibre 'Irish' flute?

Post by Laura »

keithsandra wrote:Has anyone here tried this yet? He's getting excellent reviews on his web page.

Best wishes,

K.
Hi Keith, I have a carbon high D from Erik the flutemaker. I am not sure if it is the same as the Irish as I have not been to his site for awhile. I have been playing about 6 month so I am still learning. I actually love the flute but it is LOUD and when I change to a higher octave it is not smooth unless I tongue the notes. I am still a newbie so maybe it's my poor technique. I do love it for most songs but my other D flutes seem to work better at least for me when there are higher octaves throughout. You can blow as hard as you want on this flute without a problem it is just the transition to the higher octave that present a problem for me. It is also a little harder, for me at least, to use ornaments, especially sliding the notes. I am sure if you have been playing awhile this would not be a problem. Laura
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Hello Laura,

Are you talking about his end blown carbon fibre whistle, or his side blown carbon fibre flute?

It sounds as if you might be talking about his whistles. They sound superb on his sound samples and the Comments give them high praise.

Best wishes,

Keith.
Laura
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for about 6 month, would love to get some tips on playing. I have several flutes and each one is a bit of a challenge but I am enjoying the differences on each one. I do have some question about particular flutes and their characteristics. I hope to talk to some that have played the tin flute for years and have some great information to draw from. I would also love to find more music through this forum and perhaps some great places to learn more about ornaments.

Post by Laura »

keithsandra wrote:Hello Laura,

Are you talking about his end blown carbon fibre whistle, or his side blown carbon fibre flute?

It sounds as if you might be talking about his whistles. They sound superb on his sound samples and the Comments give them high praise.

Best wishes,

Keith.

Hi Keith, It is the end blown carbon fibre whistle. So I guess you were referring to a different flute. The carbon whistles do have a very different and powerful sound which I like. I am still getting used to it. Hope you find the answer to your question. I am still getting used to this forum so ignore the quote below.