Top of head joint coming loose

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
xsdi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a tin whistle player, would like to socialize and discuss tin whistle playing techniques and music in general with others.

Top of head joint coming loose

Post by xsdi »

I just bought a wooden flute and I am very happy with it :)

However I just noticed there is one thing about the instrument that kind of unsettles me. The cap at the top of the head joint can be pulled off quite easily. There appears to be some grease on the cap.

I assume this isn't a big deal as long as the cork stays in place, but the ease at which the cap can be taken off kind of bothers me, as I feel this isn't supposed to happen with wooden flutes.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Top of head joint coming loose

Post by kkrell »

A couple of things to check:

The flute may be dehydrated & need to be humidified. Also check for any splitting of the end of the flute tube.

Does the end cap have any thread or cork? If thread, additional wraps can be made to provide a tighter fit. If cork lapping, then either the cork needs to be replaced, or you can try to first revive the cork. Some suggestions for cork can be found in this message thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98238

Teflon (plumber's) tape can also be used to adjust the fit.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

If it is thread wrapped, add a few more turns. And if it is one of my flutes read your care instructions!
xsdi
Tell us something.: I am a tin whistle player, would like to socialize and discuss tin whistle playing techniques and music in general with others.

Post by xsdi »

kkrell wrote:A couple of things to check:

The flute may be dehydrated & need to be humidified. Also check for any splitting of the end of the flute tube.

Does the end cap have any thread or cork? If thread, additional wraps can be made to provide a tighter fit. If cork lapping, then either the cork needs to be replaced, or you can try to first revive the cork. Some suggestions for cork can be found in this message thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98238

Teflon (plumber's) tape can also be used to adjust the fit.
There isn't any thread or cork on the end cap, it's just wood. I guess I'll try adjusting the fit by adding some teflon tape.
xsdi

Post by xsdi »

Casey Burns wrote:If it is thread wrapped, add a few more turns. And if it is one of my flutes read your care instructions!
No, the flute is by Geert Lejeune. :P
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Could you post pictures to help us know what is going on?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

(I think they are discussing the crown.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
xsdi

Post by xsdi »

Yes guys, I am talking about the crown.

What is basically happening is I think the crown/end cap of my flute is too loose, to the extent that it falls off when I pull it lightly. It doesn't fall off by itself, but it is quite loose. There does appear to be something brown stuck to the end of it, not sure if that is thread...? There also seems to be a lot of grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frj9clp2forj0 ... p.jpg?dl=0
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

xsdi wrote:I just bought a wooden flute and I am very happy with it :)

However I just noticed there is one thing about the instrument that kind of unsettles me. The cap at the top of the head joint can be pulled off quite easily. There appears to be some grease on the cap.

I assume this isn't a big deal as long as the cork stays in place, but the ease at which the cap can be taken off kind of bothers me, as I feel this isn't supposed to happen with wooden flutes.

No surprise..same thing happens to my well esteemed French flute crown too.

It is held in place only loosely by the inside of the crown like yours. I think it's important not to wrap thread around too tight or else yhe expansion and moisture build up might crack the headjoint.

Not the most sophisticated design but it works as long as inner crown doesn't shrink. Perhaps try soaking just the crown in linseed oil overnight and see it it expands back to fit better. Cork grease holds it in place. Strange compared to other Uk and USA flutes ...maybe there is a trend for makers to focus on this minimal crown design - very simple compared to the likes of Hawkes & Sons or Rudall Rose crowns from the last century.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

xsdi wrote:Yes guys, I am talking about the crown.

What is basically happening is I think the crown/end cap of my flute is too loose, to the extent that it falls off when I pull it lightly. It doesn't fall off by itself, but it is quite loose. There does appear to be something brown stuck to the end of it, not sure if that is thread...? There also seems to be a lot of grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frj9clp2forj0 ... p.jpg?dl=0
That looks to me to be thread wrapped around the crown, and it is greased (OK) & compressed flat. Needs more wrapping added until the fit is slightly more snug. Some players use a dirfferent-colored, thinner thread for adjustments, or even dental floss.

Wow, couldn't find Clive Catterall's tenon wrapping page anywhere live, but finally tracked a copy down on the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051214141 ... tenon.html
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org