It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 am
Posts: 17
I just bought a wooden flute and I am very happy with it :)

However I just noticed there is one thing about the instrument that kind of unsettles me. The cap at the top of the head joint can be pulled off quite easily. There appears to be some grease on the cap.

I assume this isn't a big deal as long as the cork stays in place, but the ease at which the cap can be taken off kind of bothers me, as I feel this isn't supposed to happen with wooden flutes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3790
Location: Los Angeles
A couple of things to check:

The flute may be dehydrated & need to be humidified. Also check for any splitting of the end of the flute tube.

Does the end cap have any thread or cork? If thread, additional wraps can be made to provide a tighter fit. If cork lapping, then either the cork needs to be replaced, or you can try to first revive the cork. Some suggestions for cork can be found in this message thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98238

Teflon (plumber's) tape can also be used to adjust the fit.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:27 pm
Posts: 1287
Location: Kingston WA
If it is thread wrapped, add a few more turns. And if it is one of my flutes read your care instructions!

_________________
36+ Years as a Flute Maker!
Ergonomic Flutes for Small Hands since 1986
http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com
http://www.folkflutes.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 am
Posts: 17
kkrell wrote:
A couple of things to check:

The flute may be dehydrated & need to be humidified. Also check for any splitting of the end of the flute tube.

Does the end cap have any thread or cork? If thread, additional wraps can be made to provide a tighter fit. If cork lapping, then either the cork needs to be replaced, or you can try to first revive the cork. Some suggestions for cork can be found in this message thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98238

Teflon (plumber's) tape can also be used to adjust the fit.


There isn't any thread or cork on the end cap, it's just wood. I guess I'll try adjusting the fit by adding some teflon tape.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 am
Posts: 17
Casey Burns wrote:
If it is thread wrapped, add a few more turns. And if it is one of my flutes read your care instructions!


No, the flute is by Geert Lejeune. :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm
Posts: 367
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Could you post pictures to help us know what is going on?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am
Posts: 201
Location: Surrey/Hants border, England
(I think they are discussing the crown.)

_________________
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 am
Posts: 17
Yes guys, I am talking about the crown.

What is basically happening is I think the crown/end cap of my flute is too loose, to the extent that it falls off when I pull it lightly. It doesn't fall off by itself, but it is quite loose. There does appear to be something brown stuck to the end of it, not sure if that is thread...? There also seems to be a lot of grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frj9clp2forj07n/flute%20end%20cap.jpg?dl=0


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 pm
Posts: 186
xsdi wrote:
I just bought a wooden flute and I am very happy with it :)

However I just noticed there is one thing about the instrument that kind of unsettles me. The cap at the top of the head joint can be pulled off quite easily. There appears to be some grease on the cap.

I assume this isn't a big deal as long as the cork stays in place, but the ease at which the cap can be taken off kind of bothers me, as I feel this isn't supposed to happen with wooden flutes.



No surprise..same thing happens to my well esteemed French flute crown too.

It is held in place only loosely by the inside of the crown like yours. I think it's important not to wrap thread around too tight or else yhe expansion and moisture build up might crack the headjoint.

Not the most sophisticated design but it works as long as inner crown doesn't shrink. Perhaps try soaking just the crown in linseed oil overnight and see it it expands back to fit better. Cork grease holds it in place. Strange compared to other Uk and USA flutes ...maybe there is a trend for makers to focus on this minimal crown design - very simple compared to the likes of Hawkes & Sons or Rudall Rose crowns from the last century.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3790
Location: Los Angeles
xsdi wrote:
Yes guys, I am talking about the crown.

What is basically happening is I think the crown/end cap of my flute is too loose, to the extent that it falls off when I pull it lightly. It doesn't fall off by itself, but it is quite loose. There does appear to be something brown stuck to the end of it, not sure if that is thread...? There also seems to be a lot of grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frj9clp2forj07n/flute%20end%20cap.jpg?dl=0
That looks to me to be thread wrapped around the crown, and it is greased (OK) & compressed flat. Needs more wrapping added until the fit is slightly more snug. Some players use a dirfferent-colored, thinner thread for adjustments, or even dental floss.

Wow, couldn't find Clive Catterall's tenon wrapping page anywhere live, but finally tracked a copy down on the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051214141 ... tenon.html

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.120s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)