Delrin flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Le flute padawan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I came to this forum because my tin whistle teacher reccomended it because I am thinking about buying an Irish Flute. I want to get other people's opinion about flutes that are good, so that I don't buy a flute that is a piece of crap.

Re: Delrin flutes?

Post by Le flute padawan »

Thanks for the sites, I have found a Seery that I think will work alright
So what would be the price limit for a good beginner flute?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Le flute padawan wrote:Thanks for the sites, I have found a Seery that I think will work alright
So what would be the price limit for a good beginner flute?
I'm not sure what you're asking. There is no upper limit. There are deals on used flutes. For a new flute (suitable for students, or even perhaps for life), I'd expect to pay $300-600, and you'd still want to be sure it's a quality maker, not some over-priced Pakistani chair leg. Seery, Somers, Copley could all be lifers.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Damian Thompson: 2 piece beginner delrin flute - £150 + £8 P&P in the UK - I have one & think it is a very good buy - also does a student 3 piece flute for around the £300 mark.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fatmac wrote:Damian Thompson: 2 piece beginner delrin flute - £150 + £8 P&P in the UK - I have one & think it is a very good buy - also does a student 3 piece flute for around the £300 mark.
I'd agree with this. I happen to (almost) always prefer a traditional look in a flute, which usually means a tuning slide, separate barrel, and metal rings. The other models may play (or tune) just as well, and can certainly be suitable for a beginner or better, but are more likely to get you funny looks at a session. Why not purchase something that definitely has long-term usage possibilities, whether as a main, travel, or spare flute? For instance, if the OP purchases a Seery, it doesn't go out of style if they ever purchase a very top-end flute.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Now that the thread has about run its course I thought I'd mention my Shannon flute for sale:

Walt Sweet SHANNON Delrin flute for sale. In perfect, as-new condition. Very light use. No scratches or dings. Great sound and absolutely indestructible. Cloth case available.

Shipping included in the price of $240. New retail is $275 plus shipping. Price refunded if you don't like it for any reason.

To quote a happy fluter (Thomaston):
I’ve had a Tipple, a Seery, and an M&E all in my possession at one point, but it was’t until I got my Walt Sweet Shannon that I really got fired up about practicing and improving. Maybe it’s designed for beginner embouchures more than the others, I can’t say. But it really sings under my fingers moreso than any other I’ve played. Your mileage may vary of course!
My only complaint is aesthetic, since it doesn’t have rings on it.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I still stand by those words! Great flute!
Le flute padawan
Tell us something.: I came to this forum because my tin whistle teacher reccomended it because I am thinking about buying an Irish Flute. I want to get other people's opinion about flutes that are good, so that I don't buy a flute that is a piece of crap.

Julia Delaney wrote: Walt Sweet SHANNON Delrin flute for sale. In perfect, as-new condition. Very light use. No scratches or dings. Great sound and absolutely indestructible. Cloth case available.

Shipping included in the price of $240. New retail is $275 plus shipping. Price refunded if you don't like it for any reason.
So....... would you be up for selling the flute within the next four or five months?
Le flute padawan

Julia Delany, does the flute have small bore? I am possibly interested, but the bore size is a deal breaker for me
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I don't know how to answer that except to say that it does not suit you'll get your money back less shipping costs, which will run about $7 each way.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale