Delrin flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Le flute padawan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I came to this forum because my tin whistle teacher reccomended it because I am thinking about buying an Irish Flute. I want to get other people's opinion about flutes that are good, so that I don't buy a flute that is a piece of crap.

Delrin flutes?

Post by Le flute padawan »

Hi guys,
I am thinking about buying my first flute, and I need some advice on good beginner flutes. My teacher recommended Delrin flutes, are these good beginner flutes? Thanks
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Delrin flutes?

Post by AaronFW »

Le flute padawan wrote:Hi guys,
I am thinking about buying my first flute, and I need some advice on good beginner flutes. My teacher recommended Delrin flutes, are these good beginner flutes? Thanks
Delrin is a material used to make flutes. There are a lot of makers who use Delrin but some are better than others.

Here are a few recent discussions about Delrin and non-wooden flutes:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105394

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106862
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Le flute padawan wrote:My teacher recommended Delrin flutes, are these good beginner flutes? Thanks
As Aaron said, it depends on the maker. I think your teacher was recommending Delrin on the basis of it being comparatively inexpensive and near-ironclad for conditions that might do in a wooden one. Made right, a Delrin flute can offer you everything a well-made wooden flute can, only without the upkeep. Also, it's a good visual substitute for blackwood, so there's that. Some people take a Delrin flute along when they go camping, for instance. You don't have to worry about it as much.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Le flute padawan
Tell us something.: I came to this forum because my tin whistle teacher reccomended it because I am thinking about buying an Irish Flute. I want to get other people's opinion about flutes that are good, so that I don't buy a flute that is a piece of crap.

I think the flutemaker that my teacher recommended is named Desi Seery. Are his flutes made well?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, indeed.

IIRC, Tom Doorley played one on the Danú album Think Before You Think. Here's a track that pretty extensively showcases what a Seery can do in expert hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1gOSldsYIQ
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Le flute padawan wrote:I think the flutemaker that my teacher recommended is named Desi Seery. Are his flutes made well?
Didn’t Des Seery pass away in 2015? I think someone else was going to carry on making the flutes but I’m not sure of the current status.

Regardless, I believe I’d not be alone feeling that in recent years there have been better Delrin flute options, particularly for the learner. Usually I suggest buying from a maker in your home country or region of practical. This way any future repairs/adjustments or the addition of keys (where applicable) will be quicker and less expensive. If you tell us what country you’re in, we can make some recommendations.
Le flute padawan

I am in America. I dunno if Seery died, my teacher said that he knows Desi Seery
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Seems like maybe you should just ask your teacher to procure a flute for you then?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As Loren suggests, there are a sizable number of flute makers who work in delrin. In the US, there is Dave Copley and Walt Sweet whose work is regularly mentioned here for good quality at a reasonable price. There are several others that I'm sure will be mentioned.

There are presently two mentioned in the Used Instruments Forum
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=106874
and
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=106874

Either look to be worth investigation and might be fine for a starter.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Loren wrote:Didn’t Des Seery pass away in 2015? I think someone else was going to carry on making the flutes but I’m not sure of the current status.
kkrell wrote:Des died a couple of years back. His daughter, who was also making flutes and was setting up shop in Galway, I think, was killed before then (auto accident?). I think Desi had a son, not sure if he's carrying on, or someone else, but they're still being made to order:

https://www.facebook.com/seery.flutes
You need to be logged in to FB.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Somehow I missed the sad news about D. Seery. Le flute padawan, you may want to pass this on to your teacher.

Years ago I tried one of Seery's Delrin flutes, and I recall a very favorable impression. A used one made by Desi would be worth a shot; I'm unfamiliar with the present line. But I agree with the others that for convenience and ease of service, in your case a US maker is definitely worth considering.
Le flute padawan

Thanks for the tips, guys. The reason I came on here and didn't just buy a new Seery flute is because I wanted to get people's opinions on them, and maybe find out if there are any better flutes. But thanks for the advice, I will look those flutemakers up
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a Copley bottom of the line delrin flute, and I've also owned two Seerys.
FWIW, while I liked the Seery flute, I like the Copley, which is cheaper, as well.
Certainly the Copley is a very good flute, and it's readily available from Dave C.
The bottom-line Copley has a delrin tuning slide (delrin on delrin) which
works fine, in my experience--well enough that I never miss a metal
slide.
JimmyManley
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm just starting out on my whistle journey -at the tender young age if 55. So I'm hoping to maybe pick up some tips on playing or who make good quality low priced whistles.

Post by JimmyManley »

I recently got into the flute. Doug Tipple was recommended to me and I after 'talking' to him via email I ordered one of his delrin flutes. I didn't have anything to compare it to but i have to say it seems well made, is in tune over the 2 octaves that I use and I'm very pleased with it.
I have since got a wooden flute that I prefer the sound of but i still play the Tipple pretty much everyday. It was very affordable though the UK government imposed a hefty tax. I would definately reccomend Doug Tipple for a first delrin flute
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Doug Tipple makes flutes out of PVC pipe, not Delrin.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?