Q: Travelling from Aus to the USA with a blackwood flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Q: Travelling from Aus to the USA with a blackwood flute?

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hey gang - I'm going to be travelling from Australia to the USA in the next several days, and I'm confused about how CITES works. I intend to bring my blackwood flute with me as a carry-on. Will I face any obstacles in doing so? How about when I travel back to Australia from the USA? Thanks!
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Q: Travelling from Aus to the USA with a blackwood flute

Post by AaronFW »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Hey gang - I'm going to be travelling from Australia to the USA in the next several days, and I'm confused about how CITES works. I intend to bring my blackwood flute with me as a carry-on. Will I face any obstacles in doing so? How about when I travel back to Australia from the USA? Thanks!
No, it should not be a problem since it is your personal possession. CITES permits are only necessary when selling or buying protected species.

We recently had a similar discussion regarding this; the short of that discussion is that some people like to make double sure. If you've got documentation, that is good. But it shouldn't be a problem if you don't.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106815