FS: Gary Somers Delrin Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

FS: Gary Somers Delrin Pratten

Post by Loren »

This is a 5 Piece Delrin Pratten Model by Gary Somers, with traditional metal tuning slide and nickel
plated rings. The flute is in excellent condition.

$325. Shipped in the CONUS.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: FS: Gary Somers Delrin Pratten

Post by keithsandra »

Disappointed not to get your usual few words of review!

Best wishes,

Keith.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ha! Sorry Keith, I wasn’t feeling very wordy when I posted, plus I figured that by now everyone knows that Gary makes excellent flutes. But, since you asked, here’s my take:

Great Pratten style flute with large holes. Excellent volume with the typical “Bigger” and more “open” sound Prattens are know for. I’m no sound engineer but I take this to mean the flute produces less overtones than a typical Rudall style flute.

Workmanship is excellent all around, and the finish is a bit less slippery than some Delrin flutes, which is nice. I have a couple that just slicker than they should be :swear: but not this one, IMO.

Embouchure seems, to me, to be cut very much like a typical Murray flute, which means you need to roll out or blow across more than some flutes require. My guess is many people don’t even notice this, and adjust automatically.

Really a wonderful flute, which I’ve held onto for a long time. I’m sad to be selling it, particularly as it’s the only Prattens I still own since having to sell my Dogwood Olwell a while back. However, I’ve made a commitment to cut down on my possessions this year, so this is why I’ve listed the Somers and a couple
of other flutes.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Ahhhhh! That's more like it. Thank you.

Your point about the possible difference in tonal values
between Prattens and smaller holed RnR's
concentrated my attention. I shall check it out.
I suspect you're right.

As for having to roll the embouchure to find
different sweetspots in a tune, that
sounds like a potential weakness more than a benefit ...?

Good points, much appreciated. Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Keith.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sorry, I wasn’t clear about the embouchure cut and rolling: The chimney of the embouchure hole on thenSomers is cut at angle that is less vertical than some flutes. Sam Murray also does this. All this means is that one needs to either position one’s lips in a SLIGHTLY different place relative to the embouchure hole before playing, or blow across the hole more and less down into the hole than on something like and Olwell. It’s just about starting from a different place on the flute before beginning.

No weakness or downside to the flute, no unusual adjustments/lipping are required during tunes once you set up in the right place and blow properly, like any other flute. That said, if you play something with a steep chimney cut and then pick up the Somers, it might give you pause for a moment as you work out what it needs.

I hope this clarifies, rather than muddies, although I imagine I might have failed again :boggle:
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

No, no muddying! You're very clear, thanks.

Keith.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

roj wrote:I'm surprised that this Garry Somers flute is still up for sale. I purchased his Rudall model from a forum member earlier this spring. (Who had intended to eventually put keys on it.) I think it's a great flute and certainly worthy of keys.

Rather, does this have something to do with the popularity of Pratten vs. Rudall?
roj, I know you posted this question over on the UIE, but I am answering here because your post on the UIE will likely be deleted by the mods, as no comments are allowed on that particular forum.

I too am surprised this flute hasn’t sold, but I don’t think it’s so much that it’s a Pratten rather than a Rudall. Flutes in general just don’t seem to be selling here these days. In recent years I’ve seen very reasonably priced Olwell flutes go weeks and even months unsold, flutes that literally used to get snapped up in minutes at nearly twice the price. Rama’s Cocus Olwell set that’s currently up for sale is a good example, mind boggling that it hasn’t sold, particularly considering the wood and the rarity of such a set, and the price is a fair as it could be.

Lots of other good flutes at all price ranges have languished here in recent years. Perhaps people are having better luck selling on Facebook? I bailed on FB some time ago, so I can’t say with any certainty, but I do know that people on some other music forums I follow have all shifted to posting their gear on FB and that seems to be working for them. I think forums like this are dying in general. This one sure is.

Certainly we also have an over supply of flutes these days: The “Celtic Music” craze is now long over so demand is way down, however new flute makers seem to keep appearing and producing more flutes, plus players/collectors are selling so.....

Ultimately, I just chalk it up to a sign of the times. Bad for me as I happen to have a number of flutes I’m parting with now, but as they say, “You can’t time the market” :lol:

Might have sold already if it were an RR model, but I think it’s just as likely it would still be sitting unsold. Cue forum member posting “I totally would buy that if it were a Rudall!”
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free