Delrin, & other non wooden flutes.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
whiskey_advocate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Delrin, & other non wooden flutes.

Post by whiskey_advocate »

I see you’ve already ordered an instrument, but I wanted to jump in and sing the praises of Paddy Ward’s delrin flutes. I bought one at the end of last year and have been blown away by its quality. For comparison I have a blackwood Olwell and a cocus Hamilton, and I can honestly say the delrin Ward comes pretty darn close to the Olwell in its response and tone, at least in my hands. A few other players who are better than me have also remarked on it. At a fraction of the cost of the other instruments (~$600), it is by far the best value in my small collection. Because of its lighter maintenance requirements it’s actually become my default instrument in recent months. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in so Paddy’s work doesn’t get overlooked.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Thanks, whiskey_advocate, I hope this thread continues actually, as it could be quite useful for someone else looking for recommendations. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Michael Cronnolly of M&E flutes has been doing keyed PVC flutes for decades. Francois Baubet makes great keyed delrin flutes as well (my current flute...gave up my brief flirtation with antique American flutes like Firth, Hall, Pond and others for it).

Eric
jjdura
Tell us something.: I am a simple system flute (Irish flute) player, and I have been following the flute discussions for some time. Now I would like to participate more fully. I also have a passing interest in the tin whistle. Mostly flute, though.

Post by jjdura »

Jayhawk wrote:Michael Cronnolly of M&E flutes has been doing keyed PVC flutes for decades. Francois Baubet makes great keyed delrin flutes as well (my current flute...gave up my brief flirtation with antique American flutes like Firth, Hall, Pond and others for it).

Eric
I had the opportunity to try a couple of Michael’s PVC flutes (one keyed, the other not), and while I found they sounded good, I thought they were a tad heavier than I was comfortable with. YMMV, and of course the sinews of your brawny arms may be as strong as iron bands....

John
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

They are heavy, buth they have tremendous value in a pub brawl.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

My Damian Thompson delrin beginners flute should be with me tomorrow - looking forward to getting my hands on it. :D

In the mean time, I had been having the odd practice on my Tony Dixon cheapie, & I do seem to be getting a slightly better embouchure with it now, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of practice, (as it is with any other instruments).
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

(Quick update.)

My flute arrived safely, greased up the cork, found my embouchure, & gave it a quick go.
It has a lovely tone, & is much easier than my ABS cheapie to play, simply because the hole spacings are more evenly spaced.
I had mine made with offset holes, & I can use the finger tips to cover the holes on it - I may well have been able to, even if they were in line.
(As a first flute, I would be happy to recommend it - & I think you will be hearing more about this flute from others.)
Keith.