Delrin, & other non wooden flutes.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Delrin, & other non wooden flutes.

Post by fatmac »

I think I'll be looking to get a reasonably decent non wood low D flute soon, & would like to ask your opinions & recommendations.

Presently I have a basic one piece Tony Dixon low D, which I find the hole spacing on quite awkward, but I'm practicing with it off & on to develop my embouchure.

My present fingering practice is like the 'pipers grip' that I have read of on here, but I am thinking, maybe I need off set holes(?).
It isn't the overall distance between the holes of the two groups, more the spacing within the lower grouping.

I have looked online at a Damian Thompson student delrin flute, which seem to have a much better spacing to the lower hole centres.
https://www.thompsonflutes.com/gallery

So, if anyone has one of these, & could give the measurements between the hole centres, I'd be grateful.

Otherwise, are there any that have off set holes?

(I'm in England, so really looking to purchase here).

Thank in advance for any info you can supply. :)

Edit: While I think about it, are there any delrin flutes in G?
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Delrin, & other non wooden flutes.

Post by chas »

Check out Julia Delaney's current post about his Shannon flute for sale. I haven't played one, but my understanding is that they're very forgiving on the hands.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My only problem with the Shannon is that my L1 finger was wonky and the L1 hole is biggish
(you can see it in the pictures of the flute) and it didn't help the wonky finger. But I do think
that's local to me. I do own a Dave Copley, bottom of the line delrin flute (no metal in it anywhere)
which I consider very good indeed, good sound, in tune, loud enough for sessions, ergonomic holes, physically beautiful. Good price.
If you one day need the money back, the flute will probably sell. Sometimes people waste money
trying to save it by buying a flute that in fact won't work very well. I see (good) flutes as
money in another form.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

fatmac wrote:
So, if anyone has one of these, & could give the measurements between the hole centres, I'd be grateful.

Edit: While I think about it, are there any delrin flutes in G?
A more useful measurement for assessing the finger “stretch” required to span a group of holes would be to measure the distance from the far edge of one hole to the far edge of the other(s). Center of hole to center of hole doesn’t take into account the hole sizes, which can vary from flute to flute.

Not in England, but Dave Copley makes wonderful Delrin flutes in G.
jjdura
Tell us something.: I am a simple system flute (Irish flute) player, and I have been following the flute discussions for some time. Now I would like to participate more fully. I also have a passing interest in the tin whistle. Mostly flute, though.

Post by jjdura »

Buy cheap - buy twice, my beloved mother in law often said. With flutes it is very true. Of course, once you get a good flute, fas (flute acquisition syndrome) may kick in, making you poor but happy.

John
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, I've busked for many years on a Sweetheart G flute, which, while
not delrin, is virtually indestructible, soaked in tung oil so as to be relatively impervious
to moisture. These flutes (now made by Morneaux Music, I think it is, this gentleman having been employed by the Sweets for some time) are very serviceable
and you don't need to worry much about them.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Loren wrote:A more useful measurement for assessing the finger “stretch” required to span a group of holes would be to measure the distance from the far edge of one hole to the far edge of the other(s). Center of hole to center of hole doesn’t take into account the hole sizes, which can vary from flute to flute.

Not in England, but Dave Copley makes wonderful Delrin flutes in G.
My problem is with the unequal distances between the holes of the lower three holes on my TD flute.

Hole 1 is 9.5" from the embouchure hole, hole 2 is 1.5" from hole 1, hole 3 is 1.35" from hole 2, which is awkward, but reasonable.

However, hole 4,(which is 2.35" from hole 3), is 1.15" to hole 5, & then it jumps up to 1.75" to hole 6.

That is definately awkward for me, & I would like something with the holes spaced more evenly. ;)

That Dave Copley Delrin in G sounds interesting, but I would have to pay import duty & taxes on top of it's price, which no doubt would make it expensive.. :(
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

jjdura wrote:Buy cheap - buy twice, my beloved mother in law often said. With flutes it is very true. Of course, once you get a good flute, fas (flute acquisition syndrome) may kick in, making you poor but happy.
John
FAS - now there's a thing - sounds just like UAS (ukuleles) & HAS (harmonicas), & I've had both of those already, & I seem to have caught a mild dose of WAS (whistles) since I joined these forums. :lol:
Keith.
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

Hi Fatmac,

Fingerhole spacings on the 'Student' flute (centre to centre) are LH1-LH2 36.5mm, LH2-LH3 35.0mm. RH1-RH2 30.7 RH2-RH3 36.6mm.

I can offset the toneholes for no extra charge, I have been asked to do this a few times.

While I'm here, I'm about to launch a new 'entry level' Delrin flute. A simple two piece design (in D) with one Sterling silver ring at the body end of the headjoint. The body has a thinned & extended (Delrin) tenon (which acts as a tuning slide). This one is going to retail around the £150 mark (it hasn't even made it onto my website yet!). The finger hole stretch is the same as the 'Student' model & holes can also be offset at no extra charge. A soft carry pouch is included in the price.

https://www.thompsonflutes.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thompsonflutes/

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hole spacing on a true conical bore flute usually isn't much of an issue. Your Dixon will have a more difficult RH hole stretch than a good flute.

That Shannon JD has for sale is a corker if a flute. Damien can set you up well, too.

Eric
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Damian Thompson wrote:Hi Fatmac,

Fingerhole spacings on the 'Student' flute (centre to centre) are LH1-LH2 36.5mm, LH2-LH3 35.0mm. RH1-RH2 30.7 RH2-RH3 36.6mm.

I can offset the toneholes for no extra charge, I have been asked to do this a few times.

While I'm here, I'm about to launch a new 'entry level' Delrin flute. A simple two piece design (in D) with one Sterling silver ring at the body end of the headjoint. The body has a thinned & extended (Delrin) tenon (which acts as a tuning slide). This one is going to retail around the £150 mark (it hasn't even made it onto my website yet!). The finger hole stretch is the same as the 'Student' model & holes can also be offset at no extra charge. A soft carry pouch is included in the price.
Your new entry level flute sounds ideal for me, with off set holes, as that would make it easier for me to get to grips with playing too.

Should I contact you through your website, even though it isn't listed yet.
(Many thanks for taking the time to respond here.)

Edit: Have messaged you via your website.
Keith.
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

Hi again Fatmac,

Thank's I got your email & have replied. I'm really pleased with how well this new design has turned out, it's basically a stripped down version of my 'Rudall' model, and my intention by making it is to provide a well made, responsive & in tune instrument at an affordable price for newcomers.

https://www.thompsonflutes.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thompsonflutes/
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

So......here's my update to this thread. ;)

I ordered up one of Damian's entry level flutes with off set holes. :)

Now the waiting begins...........
Keith.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Never seen a delrin flute with keys before. Pretty cool!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thomaston wrote:Never seen a delrin flute with keys before. Pretty cool!
Just for future reference, Copley has had them for years...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.