English or French? R&R or Pratten?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

English or French? R&R or Pratten?

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm not pretending this is serious, but since it's a perennial topic of debate, here's an experimental exploration of the sounds of mid C19th flutes conventionally supposed to have very different characters to each other - please read the full blurb on YT.
https://youtu.be/s7eahp4Pj40

Well, really I just played 'em how I play. ;-) Interested in (on-topic on sound) observations/reactions.

(I deliberately chose a tune which explores more of he tessitura than is normal for ITM.)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: English or French? R&R or Pratten?

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Jem

Enjoyed the mazurka.

As to the flute sounds, I liked flute 2 the best, then flute 3 and flute 1 the least. Subjectively I liked the upper and lower octave tone better on the Rudal Rose, it sounded richer. That may be down to your greater familiarity with the flute.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The flutes sound like I’d expect in a way. High notes sound better on the French flute. Low notes sound firmer on the Pratten and the more balanced flute is the Rudall.
That’s what I “expected” to hear I suppose though.
I don’t have loads of flutes kicking about these days but when I did I would sit with a few and say pick up the French flute I had to play a tune that had loads of high notes.
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

Hi Jem,

The mazurka sounds like it was composed for the French flute. I like the sound of the R&R, but in my opinion the composition favours #3 :thumbsup:

Regards,
Peter
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks for commenting, guys!
Peter Otto - tune was composed on the French flute as well as "for" it. :D

More comments welcome!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

the second sounded best to me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I liked the first. This is fun!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Perhaps a bit more analytical commentary than just stating which one you prefer? I didn’t intend a poll/beauty contest! :wink: :poke:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Is it a fair comparison? Did the Rudall and Rose not have the advantage of a Wilkes head joint, making it a non original performer!
You should really get Chris to make head joints for the other two and then compare.
Just being awkward!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

:D :waah:
The Boosey Pratten has a Wilkes embouchure bushing!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It is hard to say positive things about flute acoustics, since we often don't have enough vocabulary and reach for metaphors. I thought the Boosey's sound solid, robust, deep and more interesting, FWIW. It is also interesting to consider the contribution Wilkes' has made to this.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks, Jim.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

Okay, I'll give it a try too, with the extra handicap of not being a native speaker :)
I agree with Jim about the robust sound of the Boosey, but I prefer the less powerfull, more balanced and agile sound of the R&R. And I absolutely love the delicate high notes and transparancy of the French flute.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Tidy job, Peter. Thanks.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

The task you have set for us is difficult, and I would be very interested to hear your own assessment/comparison of the three flutes as that will undoubtedly be richer and more accurate than ours. Here is mine:
1: bottom notes have a nice 'edge' which, interestingly is higher-pitched (or has a higher-pitched component than 2; upper parts of bottom octave fine; higher notes all right but harsher than 2; overall a very fine flute.
2: notes in bottom octave have a nice, warm buzz; higher notes best of all three flutes; overall the evenest-sounding flute, and also very fine.
3: no part outstanding; bottom notes not rich (except for the very last note!); upper notes acceptable but not better than the other two flutes; still, the more I listen to this version the more pleasant it sounds. No where near as bad as when I first listened to it.

It would be nice to hear one of Jean-Michel Veillon, Anna Besson or Matt Molloy play on each of the flutes. Perhaps someday you'll be able to do that.