Thesis about the Simple-System flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkusT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thesis about the Simple-System flute

Post by MarkusT »

The first half of my PhD about the Simple-System flute is now available online. The study is based on interviews with flute players Lisa Beznosiuk, Jean-Michel Veillon, Andreas Ralsgård, Conal O'Grada and Anna Roussel, as well as flute maker/player Stéphane Morvan. It is quite theoretical and perhaps chapter 5 is the most interesting for flute players. The second part of the thesis will be based on workshops together with other flute players. You'll find the thesis in full text here:
http://portal.research.lu.se/portal/fil ... Timbre.pdf (Edit: New link)
The work will continue and if you want to send some feedback it can sent to my email adress: markus (dot) tullberg (at) mhm (dot) lu (dot) se

/Markus
Last edited by MarkusT on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanG
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Thesis about the Simple-System flute

Post by AlanG »

Well done Markus. There's a lot of interesting reading. Though I had a bit of trouble with your link. The link below should go straight to the pdf file.

http://portal.research.lu.se/portal/fil ... Timbre.pdf
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Thanks, it's now corrected!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

:thumbsup:
Looking forward to reading it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Do you want typos corrected, or is it already approved in final form?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

MarkusT wrote:The first half of my PhD about the Simple-System flute is now available online. ...
What will the second half consist of? And more importantly, will you also post it when it is finished? :)
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I read through a lot of it. The "thesis" part is a bit technical, but the "journalistic" part has a lot of interesting tidbits.

It is nice to read opinions from a group of experienced musicians about their flutes, sound quality, goals, etc., and why they like or don't like certain things.
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Hi again, and thanks for the appreciation. It's good to see that it is of value for someone after the hours spent working on it. Although, I must say it has been a real pleasure, both doing the interviews and to carefully go through the material.
Do you want typos corrected, or is it already approved in final form?
Thanks for the question, Kevin. The thesis is approved in it's current form. However, portions of the text might be expanded and included in the final PhD thesis. So if you find spelling errors (and you will for sure!) and don't mind marking them out, please do so. It will of great help.
What will the second half consist of? And more importantly, will you also post it when it is finished? :)
The second half will be based on a series of workshops with flute players of different levels. It will examine how the approach and relationship to the instrument evolves through learning and practicing. I will share it when it is done, but it will take me 2-3 more years to do it since I am mixing the research with teaching, playing and parenting.

/M