Tuning Slide on the loose

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vermichou
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tuning Slide on the loose

Post by vermichou »

Hi folks,

Quick question: my tuning slide is now moving inside the head when I turn the head and the flute's cold. I can put it back in place quite easily by grabbing the tuning slide and turning the head, and it's tight enough so it doesn't move much when I tune the flute, but it never happened before. Might be the warmer temperatures and humidity? Should I get the flute checked?

Thanks!

Michel
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Tuning Slide on the loose

Post by kkrell »

Either any shellac or glue has come loose, or it was held in only by a tight fit, and changes in temperature or humidity may be affecting it. You should check with your maker first (if possible) to know what the method was, and whether repair is needed. Unless it's a Terry McGee Improved Tuning Slide ( http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/fluteslide.html ).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I'd get it fixed, Michel. If it even moves a little bit without you noticing, and leaves the slide sticking out a little into the airstream in the embouchure hole, I would expect it to generate noise and other edge effects. (I'm assuming here that it's the traditional style of slide that goes full length of the head, and not a part-length slide or a cork-buffered slide like I use.)
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Incidentally, and this applies to us all, good idea to clean the mating surfaces of the tuning slide any time you notice resistance. If the slide jams, this can induce the head slide to rotate. Alcohol, such as methylated spirits, seems effective in removing dried breath condensate. Regrease the slide with cork grease or something similar after.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

My tuning slide also became very loose in the head. I sent it back to the maker who re-glued it.

For what it is worth, the wood on my flute was mopane and I live in a climate that can be quite dry in the winter months due to central heating. I think mopane shrinks and expands a bit, which is quite noticeable as the fit between the sections becomes either very stiff, or the rings start to slip off. After the repair, I was careful to keep the humidity in the storage box more consistent.

My other flute is cocus, and it seems more stable, but it is more expensive, so I continue to be careful about maintaining consistent humidity.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

Thanks for all your replies!

I know Sebastien (Villoing) is making cork-buffered tuning slides, but I'm not sure mine already has that feature. I'd have to check. I sent him an email. Hope this one doesn't have to go back to the maker, I have several gigs coming up and I need my flute for the next few weeks...

One more reason to buy another fully keyed D flute. We always need more flutes. I'll talk to the wife. Ah ah! :)

Cheers!