Dixon keyless flute (& piccolo)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Reeldin58
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife bought me a cheap Waltons whistle as a little "Stocking Filler" Christmas 2015. Almost two and a half years on I now own something like 20 whistles. I don't claim to be a good player but it does make me happy. I was 58 years old when I started hence the username (Also my YouTube channel). I would like to share views with like-minded players.

Re: Dixon keyless flute (& piccolo)

Post by Reeldin58 »

Hi fatmac, I really don't know anything at all about the flute, but when I play the low D whistle I need to use "The Piper's Grip" to cover the holes, which basically means using the middle of your fingers instead of the fingertips. I'm not sure if there is a flute equivalent of this but it may be worth having a look on YouTube to see if anyone has covered this subject. Without The Piper's Grip the low D whistle would also be a huge stretch.
Regards,
Reeldin58
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Hi, yes, thanks for your comment - that is what I am trying to achieve, but am still finding it somewhat of a stretch - in fact, I just gave it another go right this minute & managed to sound the lower notes - so I think my stretching exercises may well be working. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

How is it going with the flute, fatmac?

How is the switch from Boehm to simple system flute going?
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I'm finding the piccolo easier, so am concentrating on that, & some high whistles that I bought - getting familiar with the hole fingering - then I'll go back & try the flute again later.

Each time I thought I'd got my embouchure, on the flute, I'd lose it when I tried getting the lower holes, which was a bit frustrating/annoying.

But I'm making some progress overall. :thumbsup:
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Actually, I felt a bit guilty after reading your post, so I went & grabbed my (simple system) flute & gave it another go - I was terrible again! :lol:

But........I gave it another shot, (about an hour later), & actually managed to go up & down the low octave a couple of times - I noticed that I had been gripping it quite hard before, so I think I need to try & relax more - I guess it just comes down to practice & familiarity. :)
Keith.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

fatmac wrote:Actually, I felt a bit guilty after reading your post, so I went & grabbed my (simple system) flute & gave it another go - I was terrible again! :lol:

But........I gave it another shot, (about an hour later), & actually managed to go up & down the low octave a couple of times - I noticed that I had been gripping it quite hard before, so I think I need to try & relax more - I guess it just comes down to practice & familiarity. :)
Good job. :) I'm glad you gave it another shot and it turned out better. Thanks for the update.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Another update.

Piccolo playing still improving...........flute getting better........found that I need to hold it up higher......... now getting slightly better consistency with my embouchure, but still a long way to go with the flute, methinks. :wink:
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

...& yet another update. :D

Haven't been putting a lot of time in on these lately, (as I ordered a Damian Thompson delrin beginners flute), but when I have, my embouchure & fingering are getting better - my new delrin flute, (with offset holes), should be with me tomorrow - so I should know for sure if I'm getting there. :wink:
Keith.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

fatmac wrote:...& yet another update. :D

Haven't been putting a lot of time in on these lately, (as I ordered a Damian Thompson delrin beginners flute), but when I have, my embouchure & fingering are getting better - my new delrin flute, (with offset holes), should be with me tomorrow - so I should know for sure if I'm getting there. :wink:
Oo That was fast. :)
Good ole Damian.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Yes, arrived quite quickly, & on first impressions, a fab beginners flute, I'm liking it already. :D
Keith.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

fatmac wrote:Yes, arrived quite quickly, & on first impressions, a fab beginners flute, I'm liking it already. :D

So what's the latest?
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Ha, ha, I'm afraid they got set aside for a while whilst I got some low whistles...... :D

I'll be going back to my Thompson delrin soon, but I occasionally just grab up the low D Dixon for a quick check that I haven't lost my embouchure again.

I hope to be able to improve on both low whistle & flute along side each other this year...

Thanks for asking.
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I've just ordered a Tony Dixon Duo in C to go with my whistle & flute 'collection' so will get some more embouchure practice in on a smaller flute soon. :D
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Found my old thread again, so thought I'd update it - things have developed a little since my last post.

I have a few low D flutes now, Tony Dixon ABS one piece, Damian Thompson delrin with offset holes, Tony Dixon 3 piece delrin, & a Davy Angus aluminium 3 piece. I can get a tune out of all of them now, I'm just not that good a player, but enjoying what I do. :wink:

The piccolos have increased in number too, & I had been spending some time playing on them fairly recently.

All Tony Dixon; one piece ABS, 2x trad brass, that I found advertised, but didn't know they made, (these are really nice), & I managed to get a high 'D' duo, that I have set up as a piccolo, (I already have a high 'D' aluminium whistle, & I like it too).

Edit: Forgot to mention, my Tony Dixon 'A' whistle now has the flute head on it, & I have my M&E 'F' flute too.

So still enjoying the journey & having fun, I'll never be a good player, but I have them for my own enjoyment. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

How do you like the Damin Thompson flute? I am contemplating getting one. I have the ABS Dixon one piece, but IMO the right hand stretch is too big as it is basically a low D whistle with a flute head (IMO not an ideal configuration). I also have a David Angus low D from purpleheart wood which is great but I am not yet sure a wooden flute is the right thing for me considering my practice habits (many small 5 minute sessions each day with a flute or whistle always in reach). So a delrin model seems a better choice.