Dixon keyless flute (& piccolo)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Dixon keyless flute (& piccolo)

Post by fatmac »

I'm looking for genuine opinions of the Dixon bottom of the range keyless flute & piccolo.

Obviously not going to be a 'best buy', but as as starter.

How do they compare to other non wood keyless?

Are they usually reasonably accurately tuned?

Does anyone actually play one regularly?

Any other info?
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Dixon keyless flute (& piccolo)

Post by AaronFW »

By "Dixon" I assume you mean Tony Dixon Flutes, right?
I've been playing a Tony Dixon 2-piece flute pretty consistently for the last year. I play it at a weekly session. Three people at the session have complemented the sound of the flute, but I myself don't feel confident about the flute's tone, which negatively impacts my playing.

I originally started by playing bamboo flutes a few years back; which actually resulted in me having a good solid tone when I switched to the Boehm flute (I think because my bamboo flutes did not have any helps or special embouchure cuts). But when I switch to my Tony Dixon, I felt like I had to work to make it not sound like plastic.

To answer your questions:
Overall, the flute seems in tune. Though, C natural is a pain: if I use the OXX OOO fingering, it is not flat enough. OXX XOX flattens it further, but I'm still not used to using that fingering and it still doesn't sound right to me. As a result, I play songs with C naturals on my Hamilton Low D Whistle instead.

Comparing similar flutes...
There was a recent discussion where a few people talked about options of a low-budget flute; I mentioned about my experience with my Tony Dixon flute there too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105595 . I don't have experience with other flutes of that range. However, were I to buy my first flute intended for Irish Music again, I would have gone with one of Casey Burn's Folk Flutes. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but I would have been happier with it earlier and longer than I was with the Tony Dixon.
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

I have both (my first flutes ever)... The fife (plastic, not tuneable) is ok, intonation not to bad etc. In my opinion the aluminum flute is a complete disaster in the field of intonation. But maybe a better flautist than me would be able to make it play in tune :) I would rather spend money on a more expensive but acceptable delrin flute.

kr,
Peter
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Thanks fellas, so not a total waste of money. :)

(Thanks for the link to the other thread, Aaron.)

Just want to try out a keyless, without forking out a lot to start with.

If I get more comfortable with a 6 hole than my Boehm, I'll probably get a better quality one, (maybe one of the Thompson made ones), but I'll come back for opinions & suggestions on that at a later date.

:thumbsup:
Keith.
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

I have a Dixon piccolo in D and I do not recommend it, it's very hard to play.

David
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

To balance @sligofluter I have a Dixon D piccolo and find it very pleasant and responsive to play.

I wouldn’t choose it over my old Ralph Sweet as my daily driver, but it sits next to my computer and I happily give it some air every other day or so.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Thanks for your comment, Steve.

It probably boils down to embouchure, which I will have to figure out anyway.

Keith.
DaveVisi
Tell us something.: I'm a member of a medieval recreation group, interested in period and Irish music. Current play Hammered Dulcimer, and working on Bodhran and whistle.

Post by DaveVisi »

fatmac wrote:Thanks for your comment, Steve.

It probably boils down to embouchure, which I will have to figure out anyway.

I have the three piece Dixon flute. I'm assuming it's just me, but I simply can't get any sound out of it. Playing just the head joint, I can eventually find a spot that makes a reasonable noise, but as soon as I add the other sections, it all goes away.

It's probably embouchure too, but right now I'm tempted to just sell it and stick with whistles.
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Everyone is different, it takes a bit of time to find the right embouchure - I wouldn't give up too soon.

I used to just about be able to play a couple of tunes on my Boehm flute, then I lost my embouchure through lack of practice, so I know it's possible to play it, but I'm still having trouble re finding it. :lol:

Each instrument likely needs a slightly different embouchure too, so what will work on flute, will need adjusting to work for piccolo. :D
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Update.

My Dixon flute & piccolo arrived this morning, & whilst it is difficult for me to get a good embouchure on either, I'm getting on better with the piccolo already, which I'm really pleased about. :)

The Low D flute, on the other hand, I'm finding a bit of a handful, quite literally. :lol:

I can get some of the upper hole notes, but when I try to go lower, I start losing my embouchure. :sniffle:

Lots of practice needed, but I feel that it will be possible.

Keith.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Great. Keep us updated. :)
Reeldin58
Tell us something.: My wife bought me a cheap Waltons whistle as a little "Stocking Filler" Christmas 2015. Almost two and a half years on I now own something like 20 whistles. I don't claim to be a good player but it does make me happy. I was 58 years old when I started hence the username (Also my YouTube channel). I would like to share views with like-minded players.

Post by Reeldin58 »

I started playing whistles about two and a half years ago at the age of 58. After about a year I decided to take a chance and order a Tony Dixon D Piccolo as I was always very happy with the Dixon whistles that I own. Maybe I should not have given up on it quite so quickly but after a couple of months I could barely raise a tune from it and found the second octave near on impossible. Now it's in my whistle case untouched. I would be really interested to hear how your progress goes as I think in the right hands they would be a nice instrument. Sadly though not mine.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

The first two months can certainly be a struggle, and your experience is not unusual.

I think the piccolo requires a much more focussed embouchure than a flute.

Check in with a teacher; a classical flautist is a fine choice for this.

Also, be aware that it might be something you can't diagnose on your own. After a month of blowing crackers in the second octave, I realized (almost by chance) that my lip shape is teardrop and I needed a different approach.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

My second octave on the piccolo isn't always there when I practice either, it seems to need a slightly stronger blow, & possibly a quicker attack to get the notes to sound.

More practice needed. :)
Keith.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

My flute on the other hand, is a bit of a problem at the moment, as my finger stretch doesn't seem to be enough, even if I use my pinky instead of my ring finger on the bottom hole - so I'm trying some stretching exercises for that - it would be nice to be able to play it soon too.
Keith.