Early learners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Early learners

Post by AaronFW »

mendipman wrote: Once the basics are gained what exactly is the process of development and signs to look out or aim for?
What do you look for/do while you are practicing long notes? I think that is going to be part of your answer as regards to the process and development on tone.

One instructor likes saying "[Developing on the flute] is a question of time, patience and intelligent work"* and further remarks
...if a student plays long, slow notes to give him opportunity to examine his tone in close detail, then provided he can hear the undesirable aspects of his tone, his self-correcting mechanism will ensure that it improves. Long notes really can't fail to improve your tone! Nevertheless, long slow notes played without care and thought will not achieve any real result quickly.
(Source: Trevor Wye's Practice Books for the Flute: Book 1 Tone; italics in the original)

So that is why I ask "What do you look for/do?" A teacher can best guide, help and point out areas for work, but if you can listen discerningly, you can improve and progress on your own.

*The statement is Trevor Wye quoting Marcel Moyse' De la Sonorite; that is, one flute instructor quoting another. :P
mendipman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

tstermitz wrote:@mendipman Ah, if it were only so easy!

Clear, strong notes & consistency require great breath and fine muscle control (or relaxation).

Listening to Chris Norman I'm floored by how beautiful, rich and malleable the tone can be... I've got a long road.

Don't get me wrong I'm aware of the need (and time and effort involved) to constantly work on developing and improving tone. I'm just curious as to the specifics of how this development relates to 'embouchure' once we can make consistent 'ok' tone. Maybe it's my ex-clarinet player connotation that I relate to that word?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

[quote="mendipman"
Don't get me wrong I'm aware of the need (and time and effort involved) to constantly work on developing and improving tone. I'm just curious as to the specifics of how this development relates to 'embouchure' once we can make consistent 'ok' tone. Maybe it's my ex-clarinet player connotation that I relate to that word?[/quote]
When I played clarinet, there seemed a lot of folks searching for the perfect mouthpiece, and swapping out of tuning barrels to help with the 'throat tones'.
I would say this would be roughly analogous to the 'flute search' many beginners go through looking for a cut of the tone hole they can easily get on with. But then you have to add force and volume to your sound, while maintaining good tone. This is part of the real work, adding musculature to your embouchure, and is part of the need for continuous daily work.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi