Early learners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mendipman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Early learners

Post by mendipman »

I'm wondering if there are others on this forum who are early learners on flute like myself? As there appear to be no blog spaces or other group areas on this site to create a support and sharing group I thought starting a thread with those intentions in mind would be a positive. I've no particular focus or questions at the outset, just an interest to share our experiences as we begin what I hope will be our long and happy flute journey...
JimmyManley
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm just starting out on my whistle journey -at the tender young age if 55. So I'm hoping to maybe pick up some tips on playing or who make good quality low priced whistles.

Re: Early learners

Post by JimmyManley »

Me, I'm one. I've been at it for around 6 months or so. Mainly ITM I have a Tipple delrin that I take with me to work. A boxwood (?) Sweetheart and another UN named much heavier wooden flute with a tuning slide. Completely self taught so far, though i play other instruments.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, the experienced people here are here in part to help you.
You can post how you feel about this and that, too. Welcome!
John Driscoll
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish flute and whistles since January 2016. It's been a great departure from percussion, which has been my primary form of musicianship since I was a boy.

Post by John Driscoll »

I'm about two and a half years in, and I'm also a new dad with very limited time for practicing. I'd be happy to share the resources I used, as well as my practice method with you if you're interested!
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

mendipman wrote:I'm wondering if there are others on this forum who are early learners on flute like myself? As there appear to be no blog spaces or other group areas on this site to create a support and sharing group I thought starting a thread with those intentions in mind would be a positive. I've no particular focus or questions at the outset, just an interest to share our experiences as we begin what I hope will be our long and happy flute journey...

Yes, it seems there isn´t many people with didactic vocation in traditional music and that manages well the web technology, this is why a couple of friends an me have built a blog for beginners in spanish. In spain 90% of people are early beginners.

By other hand, there is tons of usefull information in this forum for learners, and many experienced people happy to help you, just ask them.

David
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

mendipman wrote:I'm wondering if there are others on this forum who are early learners on flute like myself? As there appear to be no blog spaces or other group areas on this site to create a support and sharing group I thought starting a thread with those intentions in mind would be a positive. I've no particular focus or questions at the outset, just an interest to share our experiences as we begin what I hope will be our long and happy flute journey...
I'm a relative beginner too.

In regards to your idea, it is unclear to me whether you intend this thread to be what you are describing or if you are describing a theoretical thread. Can you clarify which one it is? :-?

---
My guess is that it is the first interpretation, that this is the thread you were thinking of starting. If so, here is my contribution:

I'm still working on relaxing my grip and posture (as was recommended to me here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106572 ). Unfortunately, since I have been playing around with flutes off and on for 8 years now, I need to work harder at relaxing. (I still consider myself a relative beginner because I haven't made all that much progress in 8 years. I'm not particularly skilled musically... but that is another topic.)

I am also working on a few tunes from my local session: Out on the Ocean Jig, Little Diamond Polka, and Charlie O'Neill's.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I’ve dabbled over the years, but just now finally getting serious enough to put real practice time in. I can usually get a good tome, but run out of air about twice as fast as with whistle. I’ve read that with a good embouchure one can actually go longer between breaths than with whistle. So, that’s a big goal.
Piloshun

Post by Piloshun »

Hi,

I'm also a beginner. I've been playing for a bit less than a year (first post btw). I'm starting to be able to play comfortably and not run out of air to quickly. I've been playing wind instrument since I was ten so it helps. My next goal would be to increase my repertoire (I know only 8 tunes or so) and be able to play whole set. For now I can only pair two short tunes together at best, and at the end my tone starts to falter.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Piloshun wrote:Hi,

(first post btw).

Welcome out of the shadows, Piloshun . :)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I joined the forum a little while ago, but didn't get very far at that time - I have a regular Boehm flute, & recently got a Boehm piccolo, as I have always wanted to try one, (both pre used, I might add, but in good condition).

T'other day, I cracked & ordered up a Dixon keyless pair, (flute & piccolo), & am awaiting delivery.

I hope to give them more attention this time around, & start playing tunes. :D

I also have learned to play ukuleles, (badly :) ), & harmonicas, (reasonably) since I retired 3 years ago - it was my challenge to myself to learn to play a musical instrument, & now I'm trying to learn to read music too. So I've got a lot on my plate, but am enjoying myself. :wink:

Hope to find my embouchure fairly quickly, so that I can get on & play. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

fatmac wrote:I joined the forum a little while ago, but didn't get very far at that time - I have a regular Boehm flute, & recently got a Boehm piccolo, as I have always wanted to try one, (both pre used, I might add, but in good condition).

T'other day, I cracked & ordered up a Dixon keyless pair, (flute & piccolo), & am awaiting delivery.

I hope to give them more attention this time around, & start playing tunes. :D

I also have learned to play ukuleles, (badly :) ), & harmonicas, (reasonably) since I retired 3 years ago - it was my challenge to myself to learn to play a musical instrument, & now I'm trying to learn to read music too. So I've got a lot on my plate, but am enjoying myself. :wink:

Hope to find my embouchure fairly quickly, so that I can get on & play. :lol:
I also commented on your other Dixon post ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106766 ), I hope they go well for you. :) For me, it was helpful to get used to the fingering difference between playing a Boehm flute (in C) to playing an Irish Flute (in D).

Though I liked my Boehm flute much more than my Dixon, the people at my session seemed quite happy. It seemed as though a budget Delrin flute was better to them than a silver flute. Yet, they aren't really purists as they were also inviting someone to bring their bassoon and play. Whatever. As long as there is good beer, good music, and good company I enjoy playing.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Thanks for your comments & link in my other thread, Aaron, it really just boils down to enjoying playing some music. :)
Keith.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

This seems like the most appropriate place to post this...

For a few years now, I've been subscribed to a weekly article by the Bulletproof Musician and there was an article two weeks ago worth sharing in this thread (keep reading):

In general, the Bulletproof Musician is a blog about Music Performance Psychology. The author posts articles that draw insights from one or more recent studies and tries to explain how recent studies might help us learn and play better and more confidently.

This recent article is about learning by pausing more. In previous articles, I had learned that the brain does its growing primarily when you sleep, but there is also some evidence that taking short rests are just as helpful. I've begun applying this article as I've been working on learning songs on flute, working to read music better, and learning to play the Uilleann pipes. That being said, I think it has been very helpful, so I wanted to share it here. Other of you might also enjoy or benefit from other articles from the Bulletproof Musician.

Here is the article:
https://bulletproofmusician.com/memoriz ... ess-pause/
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Just got around to reading that; I think it relates quite well to the idea of practicing little but often.

When I started with the ukulele, I'd do 10~15mins practice sessions two or three times a day, sometimes missing out days too. I'm still not that good, but I'm sure I'm better than if I had tried to cram in all the practice within a couple of weeks/months.

I also remember reading somewhere that if you practice late at night, that your brain keeps going over what you practiced as you rest & sleep - can't say for sure, but it sounded feasable, I thought.
Keith.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

fatmac wrote:Hope to find my embouchure fairly quickly, so that I can get on & play.
Best advice I ever got for improving embouchure to upgrade tone is to practice playing long tones (holding a single note for an entire breath). Seems to have helped me.