Looking for a Keyless D Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ScottishWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning from experienced flautists and whistlers and hopefully find some decent whistles in trades!

Looking for a Keyless D Flute

Post by ScottishWhistler »

Hi folks I'm looking for a second hand or new D flute (blackwood/delrin preferably) that isn't a Pakistani flute and is around £300 or less. Would anyone be able to tell me makers of flutes that match my description and also if you have any for sale that match my criteria.

I've seen quite a lot of people say about Forbes flutes, M + E and also copley but don't enough about them myself

cheers
Martin
jim stone

Re: Looking for a Keyless D Flute

Post by jim stone »

Of the flutes you mention I own the Copley bottom of the line delrin,
which is very good (good volume, good sound, easy to handle)
and also quite reasonably priced. I consider it a professional
level flute. The delrin slide works well.
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

I'm in the UK offering a Delrin 'student' model at £290, here's a link to my website-
https://www.thompsonflutes.com/
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Francois Baubet makes wonderful keyless delrin flute for £308 (350 euro). I loved my keyed Baubet so much I bought a keyless for travel.

Eric
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I've been looking at the price range, and there are actually quite a few options out there. Like mentioned, Copley, Forbes, M&E, Baubet, are all common recommendations. Another one is Shannon. I'm sure you'd be fine with any of those, just take a look at the styles and see which you would prefer.
Life is good.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

Copley - without a doubt...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Since you may not want to import from the U.S. (Copley, for instance), you should indeed consider Francois Baubet or perhaps Damian Thompson for your price range.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Research ChiffnFipple or The Session for many testimonials for the TIPPLE, a carefully crafted plastic flute by a painstaking musician well known to and admired here by discerning fluters. You can buy three Tipples for the cost of one of the others mentioned and be well satisfied for many years, particularly by the low D honk, tone hole configurations, responsiveness, handsome finish and lightness.

Best wishes,

K.
sjpete

Post by sjpete »

keithsandra wrote:You can buy three Tipples for the cost of one of the others mentioned and be well satisfied for many years, particularly by the low D honk, tone hole configurations, responsiveness, handsome finish and lightness.
How many years, exactly? I lasted about 6 months before realizing the Tipple was not doing it for me. As I've gained experience with the "Delrins" - having owned a Delrin Forbes, Baubet and a Copley C flute - I think there is a night and day difference in sound quality, tuning, and playability between all of those and the Tipple. There are lots of flute players more accomplished than I who can work wonders with a Tipple, but I don't think that's a good gauge on whether it's a good starter instrument or not. Add in Somers, Sweet, etc. (I have no experience with these), there are a plethora of well priced options.

I think if all you have is £100, then buy a Tipple and don't look back. However, with your budget, I'd get as good a flute as you can (I highly recommend the Baubet, but others will highly recommend the other makers!).