Right-hand fingers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Re: Right-hand fingers

Post by cac »

I think it is wrong to think of a dichotomy between piper's grip and curved right hand fingers with nothing 'in between'. Many players, e.g. Catherine McEvoy, Kevin Crawford, Conal O'Grade, Matt Malloy, etc. cover the holes with the pads in the middle of the first joint of their right hand fingers, and sometimes their fingers are fairly straight. On the other hand, Emer Mayock has a 'standard' piper's grip and her fingers can really fly: listen to her playing The Maids of Selma on her album Merry Bits of Timber. There is no reason for you to change if speed is what you're worrying about. But if you must, then experiment with using only the pads of the first joints of your right hand fingers.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cac wrote:I think it is wrong to think of a dichotomy between piper's grip and curved right hand fingers with nothing 'in between'.
Yes. This is why I said 'I've gone more flat-fingered', not 'I've gone flat-fingered'.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On flutes, pipes, whistles I think that in theory at least the fingers should be relaxed.

When we relax our hands the fingers aren't ramrod straight, neither are they strongly arched, but have a slight curve, and this probably should be the model for how we "grip" any woodwind.

Of course there are loads of great players who have their hands in obvious tension, straining to be artificially straight or curved, and they play just fine. Likewise I've seen great fluteplayers with their heads, necks, shoulders, and wrists twisted into un-ergonomic poses. (I do wonder how they will feel when they're in their 60s.)

A case in point is Matt Molloy's unusual lower-hand flute grip. The three long fingers are held stiff and straight, yet all three holes are sealed with the end-joint pad. Due to his middle finger being longer than the other two, he has the middle finger held in the un-natural posture __/\__
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

This is an interesting thread for me as a beginner to simple system flutes - I am trying all the different ways to find what is comfortable & effective for me, as I think if you are comfortable, you will improve quicker, at least, I hope so.

:thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.