Glue for cork on delrin?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Glue for cork on delrin?

Post by Jayhawk »

So... what's the best option for glueing cork back on my delrin flute?

Thanks,

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Glue for cork on delrin?

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Ferree's cork cement works well on Delrin. I rough the surface up with 60 grit sandpaper and wipe with acetone immediately before applying the cement.

https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/product ... 1113109912
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Dave...I wonder if there is anything that sounds less scary to ship?

Eric
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Dave...any reason not to try rubber cement?
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Jayhawk wrote:Thanks Dave...I wonder if there is anything that sounds less scary to ship?

Eric
They ship it by UPS ground so it should not be any problem. I've never had any luck with other adhesives on cork. If you don't want to have something shipped the only similar stuff I have seen is the rim cement used to stick tubular tires on racing bicycles, and which you should be able to get at a bike shop. I've never tried it myself but you could buy a short length of Delrin rod on Amazon and do a test run before trying it on a flute.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
awildman

Post by awildman »

It isn't scary to ship, it is just regulated by the DOT. It is incredibly routine for UPS to ship a small hazmat or ORM-D like this. Same as shipping spray paint or hair spray.

Shipping cost would be more of a concern to me.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Well now I am concerned about hair spray!

I was hoping there was something I could buy locally, but it looks like I will need to order it.

Thanks all!

Eric
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

I use "Evostik" contact adhesive (there a lots of different brands but) it's always contact/impact adhesive. It's the sort that the glue sniffers (and woodwind repairers) use. It smells of ether and other volatiles. It can be bought in hardware shops and newsagents. I've used it on wood and delrin and does not melt the delrin. Try it on a bit of scrap delrin if you doubt it. Spread it on both surfaces, allow to dry for a few minutes and it sticks on contact.

H
https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmesflute-3
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks for the second option. Not hurting the delrin is key for me!
Hack with a Flute
Tell us something.: Hi, it's me- the hack with a flute! I visit sessions all over the US and even play a few tunes while I'm there! Probably best to bring ear plugs if you know I'll be at your session!

Post by Hack with a Flute »

Rock shock,

I would love to use everything Ferree’s sells, but it’s expensive and must be ordered. Go to the Home Depot on 31st and buy the following item:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwoo ... /100195615

I used this brand for 15 years on Delrin clarinets and oboes.

BTW, I visit KC for work a lot, in fact driving back to STL today. Where do you folks have sessions?
Charles Henderson
The Hack with a Flute

Student: "Teacher, what's the best sounding flute in the world?"
Teacher: "The one you practice for two hours a day."
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Charles...that make lsife easier...my local Westlake, 5 minutes from my house, has that in Aisle 7 (per the clerk).

Hopefully this link works... it's up to date for KC:. https://thesession.org/sessions/search? ... ity&page=1

Sunday nights in Lawrence I co-host the session at Henry's Upstairs from 5 until 8 or 9. Henry's Upsatiars is the bar above Henry's coffee shop (Google maps can find that)...just off Mass Street to the east on 8th. Let me know if you are able to drop in!

Eric
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

Check out any on-line musical instrument repair supplier.

I seemed to remember that with clarinets etc., the standard was melting shellac. But I'm sure there are better alternatives today.

Piper Joe
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Contact cement is hard! Cork back on, going to give it 24 hours to cure before trying it out, but it's not perfect and I had to trim a bit of the cork that wasn't fully in the channel. However, there is enough there for a good seal. That instant bond thing requires near perfection.
jjdura
Tell us something.: I am a simple system flute (Irish flute) player, and I have been following the flute discussions for some time. Now I would like to participate more fully. I also have a passing interest in the tin whistle. Mostly flute, though.

Post by jjdura »

Just for the record - Ferree's sells a small bottle of cork cement (contact cement) that is more than enough for DYI flute repairs which they will send by mail. At least they did for me ....

John Dura