Current value of nice Rudall 8 keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Current value of nice Rudall 8 keys

Post by Casey Burns »

What is the current wisdom on the value of a Rudall 8 keyed flute?

In my possession is a nice Rudall, Rose and Carte #6078 that came in a Rudall and Rose case marked #4908 that my friend purchased in 1982 from a Sothebys auction.

All the keys are there and with a little bit of care they would be perfect. There is a minor crack on the side of the head joint and barrel joint that has been well sealed. Doesn't go through the embouchure. The embouchure looks to be about 12.1 X 9.75, fingerholes not unreasonably large. This flute has the cutout for the 1st finger on the upper middle joint and a small square of shark skin inlayed for the thumb on the lower middle joint. I haven't measured it or tested it yet but my friend said it was a good player and in tune. My experience with these later Carte flutes has been the same, and a Rudall Carte is what I based my Rudall model on. Eventually I'll post photos.

Casey
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Current value of nice Rudall 8 keys

Post by jemtheflute »

In fully restored playing condition, at the very least £2000 GBP, maybe more. Silver keys? Ought to be between £2.5-3k, even in today's crap market.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Current value of nice Rudall 8 keys

Post by Jon C. »

Sounds interesting Casey! Sometime if you could measure the starting bore in the upper section, some of the RRC flute were 19mm at the start of the bore. I am working on one right now, where I have to replace the upper section. But yours sounds pretty custom, with the cut outs, Nicholson's Improved style.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon