Wilkes on ebay - no stamp? postcard provenance

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Wilkes on ebay - no stamp? postcard provenance

Post by AaronFW »

This seems to be the appropriate time to ask this question: What is it that makes Wilkes flutes desirable?

I am relatively new to the Irish Music scene and all I know about Wilkes flutes is that I've heard they are excellent and that the waiting list is "ten years or so" (per http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Contact.html). But I haven't heard what makes them excellent.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AaronFW wrote:This seems to be the appropriate time to ask this question: What is it that makes Wilkes flutes desirable?

I am relatively new to the Irish Music scene and all I know about Wilkes flutes is that I've heard they are excellent and that the waiting list is "ten years or so" (per http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/Contact.html). But I haven't heard what makes them excellent.
I am lucky enough to own a Wilkes Bb, six key. It is absolute heaven to play. I find Wilkes flutes quite difficult at first, and then ... they give you everything you could possibly want in a flute. Unbelievable responsiveness. Once you get the knack.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mis-post removed and put in intended place.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:Mis-post
All is forgiven.
Last edited by kkrell on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ooops, yes. Damn.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

jemtheflute wrote:I think the recent underpriced Wilkes 8-key was snaffled for obvious reasons. The OP keyless didn't go quite so fast, probably because of the questions about its provenance, and whether or not it was underpriced once that question was settled may be more of a moot point. It was still a bargain, mind. The very expensive Grinters listed since last December probably aren't shifting because they may be overpriced. The 6-keyer recently listed is also at a top price for a second hand instrument, and of course much always depends on the chances of timing - who is on the look out with ready cash at the time you happen to list? Folk who are locked into waiting lists for these top makers don't always want to pull out of their place even if they can get pretty much what they ordered right now second hand. And the market generally seems to be even more depressed just lately.

Just curious about the underpriced Wilkes 8-key you referenced. I missed this story. Is it worth retelling?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:"Quite recently a keyless Wilkes was sold quickly for £450, and an eight keyed Wilkes quickly sold for £2162. (€2500). "

And yet in February this year a keyless Pratten model flute by Chris Wilkes sold for $1900 (€1578) so as Jem said maybe it all depends on desire, and someone having the cash available just when a flute is made available
Might as well add a link for the curious:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilkes-keyless ... 3078070055
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Just curious about the underpriced Wilkes 8-key you referenced. I missed this story. Is it worth retelling?" Busterbill

The underpriced Wilkes 8-key flute was up for sale on a French "done deal" type site. I think Jem just meant the Wilkes went quickly as it was a bargain price. I thought you knew about this flute Busterbill?

I was given a heads up very recently about the boxwood Rudall & Rose that sold a few days ago in Vichy for €1100. So there are some interesting flutes turning up in France.