Is cocus protected under CITES?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Is cocus protected under CITES?

Post by jim stone »

Need to know, thanks
jim stone

Re: Is cocus protected under CITES?

Post by jim stone »

Well, I reckon cocus must be protected. It's
exactly the endangered wood CITES is
meant to protect. I've checked online but can't
confirm, but it makes sense to assume it's
protected.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I couldn't find brya ebenus on https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php, so I think it's clear.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

No, not on the CITES list of restricted woods. Good to go for international sale.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Cocus is not on the list. However, a problem may occur if a flute is sent in Cocus or similar wood (such as well aged and oxidized Mopane) is mistaken for a Rosewood. Thus it is important to mention the wood species on the export documentation. For Mopane I state "Mopane (Colosphernum mopane)". So far I haven't had any problems, but the potential for misidentification is there.

Casey
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, the fact that a flute is exempt from duty is no guarantee that it won't be charged
a hefty duty. Getting the money back is much good fun. Musical instruments over 100 years old are exempt. Imagine trying to prove to the government, after they've mistakenly charged duty,
that the flute was over 100 years old.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jim stone wrote:Yes, the fact that a flute is exempt from duty is no guarantee that it won't be charged
a hefty duty. Getting the money back is much good fun. Musical instruments over 100 years old are exempt. Imagine trying to prove to the government, after they've mistakenly charged duty,
that the flute was over 100 years old.
Duty has nothing to do with CITES. CITES affects whether a material can even be shipped or carried across borders. Restricted material without offsetting documentation is subject to impound & destruction without recompense.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

As you have heard under the other postings cocus is not a restricted under Cites II. But do make sure the seller lists the wood species on the import documentation, or if you are the seller do the same. Years ago I purchased a cocus R&C that was clearly cocus to my eye, but listed as Rosewood by the seller. Pre Cites II such mislabeling didn't matter, but now it does, (though the antique status of that flute would make either OK). If it is an antique get an estimate of the year range made as well if you can. Also don't be surprised if there is a delay in shipping. I had 2 day shipping on a new concertina that sat in Memphis for 4 days clearing customs even with a detailed listing of the woods used in construction, and I just received a brass whistle from Spain that took close to two weeks to get to my door. Things seem to be moving slower these days. U.S. Fish and Wildlife is responsible for checking to see if the wood matches the description. And in the case of my concertina, I do believe it was opened and inspected.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks Kevin. I was sleepy, and I have been dealing with a double whammy--a flute that might be charged a hefty duty and also be thought to violate CITES, though it turns out to be exempt on both fronts. What I was dimly gesturing at was the general fallibility of the people who make either of these judgments. I really went through the mill with an Olwell flute sent me from England--I did manage to get the duty refunded, but, oh my....dealing with these bureaucracies.... And it went on for a long time. I do take the point that, on both of these fronts, an ounce of prevention may be worth a pound of cure. Thanks to all.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jim, BTW, regarding your 2nd post at the top of the thread, as I understand it there is no issue with brya ebenus being endangered - by all accounts Jamaican Rain Tree is in adequate health as a species. The problems are with there being any larger specimens to produce work-viable timber. That's why Cuba controls the timber. Mature trees have long been largely logged out. But unlike some of the other valued hardwoods which only grow in large tree form and are therefore endangered by logging, the JRT is quite happy in shrub and hedge form and apparently is common thus in Jamaica and Cuba etc. You can quite readily buy seedlings or seeds, I believe, as it is used for bonsai and other decorative plantings.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ah! That's good news. I had thought the stuff had
been overused to near extinction. This explains, I reckon,
why it isn't being protected.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

jemtheflute wrote:JYou can quite readily buy seedlings or seeds, I believe, as it is used for bonsai and other decorative plantings.
And can be used for tiny, high-pitched flutes?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:JYou can quite readily buy seedlings or seeds, I believe, as it is used for bonsai and other decorative plantings.
And can be used for tiny, high-pitched flutes?

Best wishes.

Steve
... or bonsai bansurai.