Beginner with Flute Questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Connor Toole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Beginner with Flute Questions

Post by Connor Toole »

Hello everyone,

I had my first lesson today with my tin whistle. I am in the process of purchasing my first flute and there are so many options. My teacher suggested buying a Seery Pratten model flute in Delrin, however, I am also looking at a Copley & Boegli Irish Flute in Delrin and the Casey Burns Folk Flute. I am wondering if anyone has advice on these models. Thank you very much.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Beginner with Flute Questions

Post by kkrell »

Any of those are good choices. Given the suggestion of the Seery, you're probably in Ireland, the UK or Europe. If so, the other flutes will likely come with the additional expense of import duties and shipping.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

Actually I'm in Virginia. I noticed that Seery's are available at a couple of places. I'm not sure how much shipping costs but I think it's worth it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Connor Toole wrote:Actually I'm in Virginia. I noticed that Seery's are available at a couple of places. I'm not sure how much shipping costs but I think it's worth it.
Oh? Someone carrying them again in the U.S.? I used to help Desi rep them back in 2001 or so. Not sure who's taken over the business since he & his daughter died.

Having owned a few Seerys (including one as a gift specially made from Desi), I'd currently recommend the Copley with an oval (not the squared modern) embouchure. If you want a wood flute, the Burns Folk flutes are a value you cannot beat. I've had both blackwood & boxwood, and love the boxwood flutes for the variety. No personal experience with the Mopane.

Also, if you're going to take up the flute, may I be self-serving and recommend the CDs in my signature?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

All three are good flutes for starters, even for intermediate musicians.

The problem with the flute is that you will have to break the first barrier that involves the grip and the embouchure, the first time you take a flute is a it is a very strange artifact to the hands, and you will have the sensation of needing a third lung to play it.

So the question is if you are really interested in learning to play the flute, it´s not an easy way. If the answer is yes, go ahead, Seery, Copley and Burns are solid options, if the answers is "I don´t know" give yourself some more time with the whistle, I spent 3 years playing the whistle before trying with the flute, now I only play the flute :twisted: :twisted:

And Seery is a nice flute for the money.

David
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I’ve played all 3 and vote for Copley! Dave is “close” to you (Cincinnati), too.

Pat
Last edited by plunk111 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've also played all three and vote for the Copley--especially the bottom of the line
without rings or metal tuning slide. As far as I can tell, it plays at least as well as any other
delrin flute he makes, and it's cheaper than they are. Also, IMO, the all black delrin flute without rings
is visually elegant. And the Copley is also cheaper than the Seery and the Burns. The delrin on delrin tuning slide
works well, certainly well enough to play in sessions, and my guess is that
his flute without the metal slide has an exceptionally good sound. I think all
of the flutes mentioned are good, and I believe Dave hit the jack pot on this one.
I play it in various ensembles and I think it's a professional level flute, no holds
barred, for under 400.
Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

Thank you all very much. I am a little concerned about the embouchure but I do want to get into this. I will likely order the Copley today.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

About embouchure. The key to success is patience. It takes
literally months for this to come on line, at least it did me (nine months
before I was consistently up and running).
So when you get to the point where you realize transverse flute
is not for you, your body just wasn't made to blow the thing
well, etc., please remember we have all been there too and kept
going. Once you get it it improves for the rest of your life. Most
satisfying.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

What Jim said! Patience with yourself until the embouchure comes in. There are a few other physical issues, that take time (hyperventilation, finger strength, posture, breath control), but the longest is embouchure. I took me two months to get notes to sound across two octaves. It took me 18 months to achieve a moderately okay tone... sometimes, and now at my two year mark, I think I'm finally achieving some consistency in quality.

I highly recommend that you get a teacher for one-on-one attention right at the start. Start with proper technique, and you don't have to unlearn things later. And a teacher will spot things you didn't realize were problems. For example, I have a lip shape that doesn't work for blowing through the center of the mouth. I only figured that out by luck, and a teacher would have saved me a month of frustration!
Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

Alright I have ordered a Copley flute with rings, now the wait begins! Apparently there is a 12 week wait. Does anyone have any good ideas to pass the time?
awildman

Post by awildman »

Just keep learning on your whistle. Learning the fingerings and the music better will only help you on flute.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Check your PMs - I sent you a message a few days ago...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

Hi Pat,

I tried checking my PM's it says I don't have access. How do I get access to my PM's? I apologize for not responding.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It takes a few posts on the board for you to get access.
You may now be there.