Low G/F#/E gurgle

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fluteryne
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute and whistle player located in Tucson, Arizona. Love Irish traditional and other folk music.

Low G/F#/E gurgle

Post by fluteryne »

Collective Wisdom: what could cause a “gurgling” in the low G, F#, E on a modern “Irish flute” by a well respected maker?

I can get it to not do this if I’m conscious, but when I really try to push in the low range, these notes don’t speak clearly like the rest. Flute has a lovely sound otherwise.

Thanks!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Low G/F#/E gurgle

Post by Jon C. »

Burble...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

Try putting some grease on the tenons and tuning slide oil on the slide after checking that the stopper/cork is in the correct position. Could the stopper be dry too?

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmesflute-3
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Holmes wrote:Try putting some grease on the tenons and tuning slide oil on the slide after checking that the stopper/cork is in the correct position. Could the stopper be dry too?

H

He says that he has a strong Bottom D...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

This happened to me years ago, passed it round the session to see if it was me or the flute, I finally looked down the bore to find a battery (small type) lodged in the bore!

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute