Holding flute comfortably

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: Holding flute comfortably

Post by jim stone »

The 'bent wrist' technique, done properly, doesn't involve
a particularly bent wrist. It can be quite comfortable. A teacher
might show you how, or you can simply work out a comfortable,
straightish position. Might be worth a try.

But it is nowhere written that you must play this way.
weebox
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I play a low D-whistle and I'm selling a Copeland flute. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and join in with many Irish music sessions. I teach Celtic music at the local community college lead a Celtic music session at a pub.

Post by weebox »

My teacher encouraged me to try the classical grip as opposed to the pipers’ grip. I get a completely different tone out of my flute. Aging and ease of motion are considerations. I appreciated the wise contributions to chiff&fipple. Thanks everyone.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Conical bore wrote: I play a keyless flute, for long enough time now that my hold has settled in and it's comfortable. Quasi-piper's grip on the low hand, more on the finger pads with the upper hand.

However, on that point above (and Jem's video)... I've noticed a tendency to use my R4 pinky to lightly touch the flute most of the time, as if to help stabilize it. Just a very light touch, not pushing hard, with the right thumb doing almost all the work. I can still play without it touching, and it flies up occasionally with certain note sequences. Probably the ones with R3, I haven't put much thought into it.

I'm conflicted about whether this is something I should try to work on. I know I'll need to make sure it's in the right spot if I ever get a keyed flute with an Eb. But for now, I don't know if this is a problem or not. Lord knows I have other things I need to be working on...
Keyless flute is a bit easier than the keyed flute, and that is something to enjoy. As you point out, the right pinky is useful for support on some/many notes, and maybe you only need to lift it when you roll the E-note. I came to flute from whistle, and those habits were more-or-less natural.

On a keyed flute, many players just rotate the foot out of the way so the right pinky plays the same, (merely) supporting roll as on the keyless. Of course this up the Eb, which is only used occasionally. When you need it, you need it, and a solid Eb is very satisfying.

From my experience... When I moved to keyed flute, I had to learn how to use the keys (easy enough - Fnat, G# and Eb; I don't use Cnat or Bb - cross-fingering is a different topic). Strengthening the right pinky took a bit more effort and time. Hardest was learning to lift or press the Eb key depending on the particular note: must be down on E & F#, must be up on D. It is true that on my flute, the Eb is very beneficial for E & F#, whereas on most modern flutes you might not have that necessity.

I agree with kmag that the piper's grip might be an issue if you change to keyed flute. The blocks holding the keys on my flute are too close to the finger holes for the piper's grip to work. And I'm one who might benefit from it as my ring finger is rather shorter than my middle finger, and my Eb/C/C# pinky is even shorter.

These are all things you can work through. A few months of relearning is not the end of the world. But, if I could tell my newby flute self one thing, it would be to start with an Eb key.
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

JimmyManley wrote:
JoFo wrote:Being a piper, I started using the "Piper's grip" for both my left and right hand. Works a lot better for me. A lot less tension
I've tried to finger the flute the more common way, many times. But it's so much harder to move (especially) my left hand fingers quickly. Ornaments and fast movements are so much easier and it doesn't cause cramp either...

Tom Doorley, Patsy Hanley, and others, do it to at least some extent, esp. the left hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkfr2OfRAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLcfnY8-gY
I'm pretty new to the flute. Self teaching/you tube.... I have pretty much come up with a grip like the guy in your first video. A little bit like holding a low d whistle and then bringing it up to a transverse position.
I then saw lots of vids where players were holding it in a more 'traditional' way I.e. the bent wrist. So I tried that. Decided that my original way was probably wrong as no one else seemed to play like that BUT as it seems infinitely more comfortable I've gone back to it
So I'm pleased to see some much better players using the same holding technique :-)

Yes, it's a lot more comfortable and also gives easier finger movement. And if it works for Hanley and Doorley, then who's to say it's "wrong"...?
I too have tried, many times, to get used to the "normal" left hand position. But it isn't right for me. I came to the flute from years playing the pipes and the low whistle.
As for keys, many players never use them anyway. And I have no problems (well, at least none due to my left hand position) using most of them even though I hold the flute the way I do.

Good luck!
TimAdams
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning what issues flute players have with flutes they own or want to own. I might also be able to give some advice on simple repairs.

Post by TimAdams »

Hi
If you have small hands you might find this clip useful. I made it for Mary who came from the classical tradition and was having trouble getting her fingers to comfortably cover the holes on her new flute. Hope it helps you too. https://youtu.be/yfbNKJSaVhI
Tim Adams Flute Maker - www.adams.se/flute
Adams Flute Maker
I make good Irish style flutes in African Blackwood and Mopane for people from everywhere and all musical backgrounds. They’re relatively affordable and you don’t have to wait forever.
http://www.adams.se/flutemaker