Flute design questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Flute design questions

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steampacket wrote: stop eating meat,
Hack with a Flute wrote:Seriously??? Since when did flute playing become a vegan/vegetarian endeavor??? ...
Except for those plastic or delrin instruments, flutes are made from plant stock. They respond poorly to "meat breath" and cry out for the reassuring scent of their plant brothers and sisters.

Best wishes,

Steve (eating a carrot before practising)
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
sjpete
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sjpete »

I've never been much of a composer, but now I feel the need to write the Meat Sweats Reel.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Hack with a Flute wrote:Seriously???
+1. I don't think flute playing requires giving up meat or doing weights either!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Since when did flute playing become a vegan/vegetarian endeavor??? How about “stop indulging in bad eating habits” instead? Hack...
Seriously, eating meat is a bad eating habit, bad for your body and for the planet. Regarding weights, just small 4-5 pound hand weights, no need for heavy body building equipment or anabolic steroids.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Steampacket wrote:Seriously, eating meat is a bad eating habit, bad for your body and for the planet.
CCCP 1: Background and overall policy principles (The Pepsi Rule)
CCCP 10: Medical advice
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Steampacket wrote:Seriously, eating meat is a bad eating habit, bad for your body and for the planet.
CCCP 1: Background and overall policy principles (The Pepsi Rule)
CCCP 10: Medical advice
I've been trying to come up with something wise, here, but it's difficult, so let's just simplify things and drop the "Eating meat is bad for your fluteplaying" topic. First of all, it's an opinion, not something provable like "Cutting off your lips is bad for your fluteplaying." To back this up, I am still a meat eater, have never done situps for my breath control, and although never destined to be one of the stars in the sky, I have done quite well enough as a fluteplayer, I think I may be so bold. I've never recorded on flute, but if you want to know, ask any of our Twin Cities-based Chiffers who know my fluteplaying for their opinion. And it may differ from mine, who knows.

I'll be honest, I am lately veering toward vegetarianism myself, but it's for personal reasons, and definitely not for any tactical approach to supposed better musicianship. Certain people may be thoroughly convinced that abstention from meat is important to one's fluteplaying, but as an opinion, saying it once is enough. I think it's time to move on back to the original topic, now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Didn't say that being physically fit, including sit-ups/abdominals, is necessary for playing the flute or playing it well. Only that it is helpful, especially as one grows older. Also aerobic activity can help one's wind. Being physically fit is often helpful at athletic activities, and playing flute qualifies as one. YMMV. I don't see this as terribly controversial and it is consistent with many couch potatoes playing just fine, though I doubt they are as old as I am.