Beer and a Wooden Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hpinson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Beer and a Wooden Flute

Post by hpinson »

Last night at a gig, a beer was spilled on my nice Pratton copy wooden flute. The beer was in contact with some parts of the surface for probably 30 seconds before being wiped off.

The parts of the flute that were in contact with the alcohol changed color from black to a lighter grayish brown and color differences are quite visible now across the flute.

I'm assuming the maker used a dye to make the wood seem a uniform black, ie. 'ebonized' the wood, and the alcohol removed that dye.

I believe the flute is either African Blackwood or Ebony. Not sure which.

What kind of dye can I use to restore the uniform black color of the wood? Preferably something non-toxic and that does not rub off on my hands when I play?
Gromit

Re: Beer and a Wooden Flute

Post by Gromit »

I'd contact the maker for advice if you know who it is.

In my experience matching a stain or dye to an area where some has been removed is almost impossible unless you know what the stain is and even then it's difficult getting a seemless blend.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'm assuming the maker used a dye to make the wood seem a uniform black,
Not necessarily, blackwood can be distinctly brown when freshly turned and it will darken to black over time. I don't know what process is responsible for this but it may well be the alcohol reversed it.
My brain hurts

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A testament to the restorative power of booze, I wager.
Short of contacting the maker, you might wait and see
if the old color returns.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

There's unlikely to be enough alcohol in beer to act as a solvent. The effects on the wood will much more probably be be from the water content! The lightened patches will probably quite quickly fade and match back in with the remainder, but if not, something fairly odd was done to your flute when made! (Who'd use a non-water-resistant dye if dying the wood?!) Try a few drops of water on an unmarked area to see what happens! If I'm right, drying and oiling will probably more-or-less remove the water marks.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

It's not unusual to get random drops of condensation ("It's not spit, damnit".) on a flute from playing and the bore often gets quite a washing. I've never seen that cause a discoloration. So would the water in the beer have an effect?

Just wonderin'

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Steve Bliven wrote:It's not unusual to get random drops of condensation ("It's not spit, damnit".) on a flute from playing and the bore often gets quite a washing. I've never seen that cause a discoloration. So would the water in the beer have an effect?

Just wonderin'

Steve
I wondered much the same, Steve, and in most flutes the answer would be, no or little effect. Much depends on what timber the flute in question is and what finish has been applied to it.

Actually, thinking about it, sometimes oil or wax based finishes on wood do go lighter or opaque if wetted, and drying plus buffing often restores them. Think cup rings on polished furniture.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

It is a dramatic discoloration - beer hit the wood (mainly the barrel and middle section) and color changed mainly to the center section and barrel, and not the head and foot. I noticed the color change directly when wiping the beer off. I then wiped off with water, a damp cotton cloth, within a minute of the spill. The damp cloth had no coloration on it. The beer was 6% ABV which brewpubs here usually list on the menu.

The wood looks to my eye like the ebony you get in the USA in the last 15 years - dark brownish and streaked, not black and uniform. Age of the flute I'm guessing is no more than six years. Flute gets oiled weekly with Almond oil.

I read up a bit, and aniline dye, which is a wood dye widely available at Woodworkers Warehouse and Woodcraft in the J.E. MOSER brand in the USA, seems to be alcohol soluble - that's actually what you use to mix up the powder. I'm guessing that is what was used.

I may just leave it alone - it gives the flute a certain character.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I read up a bit, and aniline dye, which is a wood dye widely available at Woodworkers Warehouse and Woodcraft in the J.E. MOSER brand in the USA, seems to be alcohol soluble - that's actually what you use to mix up the powder. I'm guessing that is what was used.
That seems to be the case and those dyes would normally have a finish (varnish, laquer etc.) on top to protect the surface. Who made the flute?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

hpinson wrote:
I may just leave it alone - it gives the flute a certain character.
That was my thought too. Just tell people you were in a bar fight.

Could you post a picture of it?
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

As someone who has put Grenadilla under very hot running water before (don't ask) which turned it brown and dehydrated it, oiling the flute brought back the pure black that we all know and love.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just a note to add that it's unlikely your flute is made literally of ebony,
which is actually not a very good flute wood. African blackwood (grenadilla)
is preferred and what your flute is probably made of. 'Ebony' is sometimes
used to denote grenadilla, but literally (in case you didn't know) the woods
are different.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

hpinson wrote:I read up a bit, and aniline dye, which is a wood dye widely available at Woodworkers Warehouse and Woodcraft in the J.E. MOSER brand in the USA, seems to be alcohol soluble - that's actually what you use to mix up the powder. I'm guessing that is what was used.
The obvious solution is treat the rest of the flute with beer/alcohol to restore it to natural wood colour...

Said in jest (sorry!) when I'm surprised no-one else has!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

I just looked up African Blackwood, Grenadilla, and stock blanks that are available seems to tend more towards dark brown and even reddish brown, than coal black. Grain is similar to what is now exposed, so I think you are right Jim. I'm now thinking most recent 'blackwood' flutes are dyed or stained to achieve true black. Perhaps in the past true black coloration was more common. Maybe a maker could respond? I imagine with CITES it will become harder and harder to get.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Peter, I'm guessing that will happen sooner than later! :lol: