Mopane Forests

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mopane Forests

Post by Casey Burns »

I had an interesting chat today with my wood supplier in Portland, Myles Gilmer. He was in Africa last year reestablishing contacts and visiting old friends. He was on the lookout for Mopane that could be brought to the states. He saw plenty of sizeable Mopane trees in the bush but the problem is nobody is now set up to harvest and bring these trees to market. So they'll just continue to grow and grow and in the future, someone will figure that out and it will become available for future generations of makers perhaps. Am glad to hear that this species is far from endangered. He did say that there was one outfit in Capetown that he's worked with for 40 years that has a nice pile of it apparently. It was unfortunate timing for a visit however - as the owner had just passed away 4 days previously. His son is now running the business but was not available.

Casey
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Mopane Forests

Post by Holmes »

Mopane (from sustainably managed sources) would be very good news.

I have quite a stash of pre-CITES stock here but the important thing is not damaging the environment where it emanates. I think it is the most underrated material for flutes to the point that I prefer it to any other, though it can be variable so selection is important. I don't think that there are any important differences in tonal quality between the woods commonly used for flute making; cocus, blackwood or indeed mopane. Mopane behaves well in western Europe in that it resists cracking, drying and it is very satisfying to turn.

H
https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmesflute-3
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute