Can you serve two mistresses?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Can you serve two mistresses?

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Can I just say ... I have a real problem with this thread title ... ?
It paints an enthralling picture to be sure, Ben, but do try to pull yourself together. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Can I just say ... I have a real problem with this thread title ... ?
It paints an enthralling picture to be sure, Ben, but do try to pull yourself together. :wink:
I'll give it a go. It's a worry, though. :puppyeyes:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It depends on how old they are. The flutes, I mean.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"It depends on how old they are. The flutes, I mean." Jim Stone
Age isn't really an issue. I play on flutes that are around 175 and 125 years old, 18 years old, 16 years old, and 36 years old. All D flutes, keyed, and keyless. It only takes a few minutes to adjust to each one. I don't find different embouchures to be such a big deal. I think it has more to do with you, yourself, as a musician, how much time you put in, playing and/or practicing a flute, any flute. The more experienced you are the easier it is to adapt. Of course you can have a favourite, preferred instrument. I now prefer my old flutes, since they have been repadded. I suspect flute players such as Kevin Crawford, Harry Bradley, Conal O'Grada, Catherine McEvoy, Tara Diamond, Órlaith McAuliffe, Seamus Tansey, to name but a few, could switch to any simple system flute and play well
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sorry. The internet doesn't communicate jokes. People take you seriously.
I once posted, many years ago, when we were in a frenzy of buying whistles,
'Will sell mother to the white slave trade for whistles.' The mods sensibly
deleted the post, but not before I received three offers.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Jim I get that you spoke in jest. I was just replying to the original posters query:
"To my original point... Interesting comments that maintaining quality in the embouchure might be easier with flutes that are quite different, like C vs D or baroque vs Irish. On the latter example, I don't think I'd like remembering multiple fingerings.
What about playing instruments from different flute makers? Would you normally stick with one maker once you get used to their style? (I'm assuming that the embouchure cut is more internally consistent within one maker than across makers.)"