A wee story from Ballyvourney

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A wee story from Ballyvourney

Post by kenny »

The 2018 "Cruinniu na bhFliuit" was a great success. As an innovation, the organisers put on an evening concert featuring singer / flute / whistle player Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, accompanied by Gerry O'Beirne on guitar. She told this lovely story about her father's local session.
Apparently a very capable flute player from Japan turned up one night to join in. There was a regular flute player there as well. A great night was had by one and all, and at the end of the session, the fella from Japan leans over to the local flute player and asks him who made his flute. There was no doubt a bit of background noise involved at this time of the proceedings, but the reply was "It's a Sam Murray flute". The Japanese flute player got very excited and said, "Ah, samurai flute !!! Where can I get one ?" .
I told this story to one of the flute players next to me the following night , and he made the observation, " No doubt it was a bit sharp". :)

One of the many highlights of an excellent 3 days and 4 nights of music. My sincere thanks to Hammy, Noirin, Conal, Siobhan and all the other organisers, teachers, the residents of Ballyvourney, and fellow students who made it such a great occasion.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: A wee story from Ballyvourney

Post by StevieJ »

Great story, Kenny, and it doesn't have to be true to be funny. :)
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: A wee story from Ballyvourney

Post by Normski »

It was indeed a great event Kenny and a privilege to be there.