Hope no one bought this Rudall.....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Hope no one bought this Rudall.....

Post by RudallRose »

....without realizing that the foot joint is likely a replacement.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... image-link

Not sure what it sold for....but any flat-keyed Rudall in the catalogue has a pewter plug for the Eb.....and most certainly would not have a saltspoon key instead.

So....if you're one who purchased it.....here's hoping you spotted that.
Flutesoftheforest
antispam: No

Re: Hope no one bought this Rudall.....

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Went for £720 plus 23% buyers premium.
The main body was stamped #1443.
I also spotted the "harlequin" footjoint!
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

I think the footjoint itself is original - it has the same lined key-ways as the body; but the C# key lever is missing and the saltspoon Eb key is likely to be a replacement, I agree, though it could possibly be a R&R one. If the original wasn't a pewter plug, it would have had a flat-round disc matching the body keys for sure.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I'd be interested to see an example of one with the flat key cup on the Eb, Jem.
I've only seen plugs for the Eb when the rest of the body are flat cups.

The footjoint is likely a Rudall, from the viewpoints......and it's unlikely the Eb key is the replacement since the seat is very different (and I really doubt they'd redrill it to accommodate the saltspoon key rather than a new flat key).

yes....1443. That's what they told me when I asked.

and $1,240 for a Rudall whose foot is presumably a replacement....and no case? AND the flat key cups.

Interesting.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

It's possible that we may see this flute again on ebay ...
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

It's quite possible that the foot joint with pewter C# & C keys and a salt spoon Eb key on R&R 1443 is original. R&R 864 has the same combination of flat cup keys, together with a foot joint with pewter C# & C keys and a salt spoon Eb key. The combination of flat cup, salt spoon, and pewter keys may be unusual, but does not appear to be unique, as regards R&R flutes at least. Congratulations to the buyer.

R&R 4882 has six flat cup keys, including the Eb, and pewter plug C# and C keys
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nice flute, I would have loved to score this! It would be interesting what is stamped on the foot, looks like a Wyld made Rudall foot to me.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jon C. wrote:Nice flute, I would have loved to score this! It would be interesting what is stamped on the foot, looks like a Wyld made Rudall foot to me.
That's Wylde!
Don't they all, Jon? :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jemtheflute wrote:
Jon C. wrote:Nice flute, I would have loved to score this! It would be interesting what is stamped on the foot, looks like a Wyld made Rudall foot to me.
That's Wylde!
Most, but not all...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jon C. wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:
That's Wylde!
Most, but not all...
Well, there's a rumour Wylde learnt a bit from/under Rose..... Might explain a thing or two. :D

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums