Making your own transverse flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Making your own transverse flute

Post by AuLoS303 »

I have seen quite a few homemade fipple flutes and such but I got curious about the transverse flute and was wondering if there was a site showing their construction. Ive trawled YouTube but most of them are foreign or are really bad! I was wondering about the formula for hole placement and size etc as well as tube length.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Making your own transverse flute

Post by Terry McGee »

Google: "simple flute making", AuLoS303.

EG: www.markshep.com/flute/Holes.html
awildman

Post by awildman »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Luc Verhoeven has a site I've found informative:

http://users.skynet.be/fluiten/how.html
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Makes post. Realises I dont have any power tools.. Oh well its still interesting to read about...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
awildman

Post by awildman »

Don't need power tools. Flute making has been around much longer than harnessed electricity has, by thousands of years. And PVC is actually pretty soft. Tape measure, Swiss Army knife*, saw, and a few hobby files will get the job done. Throw in a bit of sandpaper, a wine cork, and a bit of ingenuity and you're golden.

* or even your wife's kitchen knife, but you didn't hear it from me.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I've cut enough PVC pipe for home plumbing jobs, and have enough miscellaneous hand tools lying around, that I think I could make a cylindrical/PVC flute without power tools if I wanted to. And if I had good instructions. PVC is easy to work with.

I'm not motivated to do that because I already have a nice flute, but if you're interested then go for it! If nothing else, you'll have something that will make a sound, and an increased appreciation of the workmanship that goes into higher-end flutes.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Similarly, it is also easy to make flutes out of bamboo without power-tools.

For me, I hunt for bamboo and use a hand-held hacksaw-blade. I then break out the middle sections with a rod of some sort (rebar etc). I have a special tool that I use for finger holes.

It is a double-headed nail in a block of wood; however, one the of heads gets cut off. I heat this up with a cheap blowtorch from Walmart. The reason the head gets cut off is to start the finger hole using the shaft and check the tuning. You can then adjust the whole up or down the length of the flute and make the whole a decent size using the 2nd head of the nail. (It is easier to show than describe. But maybe you get the idea, or maybe it doesn't matter.)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I do have a power drill, but wouldn't use it for any more than small pilot holes in a whistle or flute. I bought a big set of cheap twist drill bits in 1/64" increments and made a simple clamp handle that I use to turn them by hand. Allows much better control over size and the drilling process.

A pair of skew chisels are nice for whistle windows and embouchure holes, and a straight chisel gives much better control than a saw for removing small amounts off the length.