FS: Six key Sam Murray Boxwood D Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Massimo.C
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I live in Ireland and play trad on the flute. I've availed of the info on this site several times and I'd like to share my experiences. Hup!

FS: Six key Sam Murray Boxwood D Flute

Post by Massimo.C »

Hi everyone,
I am putting up for sale my Sam Murray Flute. Boxwood, unstained, 6 keys, about 6 years old. The flute is in perfect condition, no cracks or bends. It has been oiled regularly and played regularly, although not too much recently and that is why it’s up for sale. It plays great, good bark and volume and it's incredibly light. The wood has gotten slightly darker over the years. It comes with a hard case. The Flute was overhauled by Vincenzo Di Mauro in Galway.

The Flute is in located in Galway, Ireland and be viewed or tried here. PM here.

Here some photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3TPRYmDMSMvNUJ9A3

Thanks,

Massimo
jim stone

Re: FS: Six key Sam Murray Boxwood D Flute

Post by jim stone »

Please check private messages
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Posting a price would also be helpful.
Massimo.C
Tell us something.: Hi, I live in Ireland and play trad on the flute. I've availed of the info on this site several times and I'd like to share my experiences. Hup!

Post by Massimo.C »

Since I'm new here it doesn't let me access private messages (I've registered a while back but I've never been an active user). Let me figure it out, otherwise do you have an email address Jim?
Thanks,
M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. Yes, it's jstone@uno.edu. I wanted to know the price. Also I wanted to know
whether the flute is internally in tune (I owned a Murray flute that was seriously
out of tune with itself is why I ask--nothing personal). Thanks again, kind regards, Jim
Massimo.C

Post by Massimo.C »

Hi Jim,

Looking at what other top makers charge (over €3k plus long waiting list) I was thinking of asking €3k.
The flute is in tune. Kevin Crawford tried a couple of years ago in Spiddal and was well impressed. He said it was one of the good Murrays (If you know/see him ask him and hopefully he'll remember). Harry Bradley and Michael Clarkson also tried it and thought it was good.

I'll see if I can record a video or audio but I'd probably make Charles Nicholson's personal flute sound like a cheap Pakistani instrument :)

M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Never heard from this fellow. Maybe the problem is on
my end, but I am certainly reachable by private messages.
If the flute is gone or whatever, it would be nice to say so here.
Kind regards.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Massimo.C wrote:Since I'm new here it doesn't let me access private messages (I've registered a while back but I've never been an active user). Let me figure it out, otherwise do you have an email address Jim?
Thanks,
M
After your next post, you should be able to send private messages if you need to.
Massimo.C

Post by Massimo.C »

HI Jim,
I replied here but I got a message saying one of the moderators needed to approve the comment. I can’t access my messages since I’m new. I should have emailed you straight away. My apologies. I’ve done that now so you should have received my mail.
All the best,
M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The board is jumping around, so I just want to say that
this fellow has proved responsible in my book. Apologies
if I've done anything confusing.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Hi C&Fers,
I met this flute (4 years ago! where the time goes?...) at hammy's festival.
I rember it was a very nice instrument and Massimo was right in keep it as his main flute.
Cannot go deep in details, many flutes were there around the area (I counted Seven Rudall!)
but it surely was a first class Murray.

here are two random pictures, of this flute, took among those days!:

Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
michael c

Post by michael c »

Having met the seller and the flute on many occasions I'm happy to recommend both the vendor and the thing that is for sale. If I didn't already have a flute, and wasn't a bit deaf, I'd very likely buy this instrument. I hope whoever does buy it gets as much enjoyment from playing it as I have got from listening to it being played.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I played an original c1830 Rudall & Rose for many years and boxwood flutes are special and wonderful in ways that are hard to put into words.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Massimo.C

Post by Massimo.C »

Thanks for your comments (and photos) Michael C. and Francesco (radcliff)!

@pancelticpiper, you are quite right about the qualities of boxwood.

Sale is pending now.

M
Massimo.C

Post by Massimo.C »

The flute is now sold.
Cheers,
Massimo