Maintaining multiple flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Maintaining multiple flutes

Post by AaronFW »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been silently reading them as they come in. It has been nice to see the wide variance.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I have about 40 in my shop, so I keep the humidity around 50% and use a humidifier in the summer...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:
jim stone wrote:... up to 50 regularly...
Up to 50 :o Here in the English West Midlands it rarely gets down to 50. I make a point of leaving the case open overnight after a session so that I don’t find the flute still damp when I come back to it.
I envy you. Where I live, winters are bone-dry because the moisture's all locked up in snow. Like Jim, I've had instruments crack - first out of ignorance, and later out of carelessness. Now I humidify my whole apartment, but the colder it gets outside, the drier it gets - on its own it can get as low as 10% - so the poor humidifier can't do it all. I modified humidifier worms for guitar and fiddle, slipped them into my flute parts, and shut the case. Worked for me. But you really need to give the flute an airing every day, then, to stave off mildew.

So, yeah. If you're dealing with dry conditions, humidifying's definitely #1. Oiling's nice, but I'm unconvinced it helps with moisture retention. I had a dogwood flute that I oiled, and it drank up the oil like a sponge, but it still was subject to rapid swelling and shrinking nevertheless.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I oil boxwood but not rosewoods. The box maybe 2-4 times a year. I line them up in a row and humidify all at once. Like others, I humidify in the winter. Even with all my room humidifiers, it's seldom above 40% inside, less in the living room with a wood stove.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.