inlays for end caps

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

inlays for end caps

Post by Casey Burns »

Here are some domed pieces of metal in my search for nice designs for end cap inlays. In addition to the Guilloché-inspired engraving, I now have added some simple punch work called Repoussé to some of these. In the designing, I leave some areas free of engraving and then tool them from the opposite side before doming the entire piece in a dapping block. Most of these pieces will end up as pins which I give away or will sell at Lark Camp. The tooling is very simple. The work is supported by leather (Chaser's Pitch is commonly used - I am avoiding it as the cleanup might damage the engravings) on a good bench. A few hammers including my great uncle's planishing hammer (he did some Chasing and Repoussé work as well), and little punches from a dapping ball set and some I have made from former triangular files and good lighting and magnification and a few dapping blocks of different curves and diameters are all that is required.

I am about to build another attachment to my lathe that will allow some actual Rose Engine turning. I am also building a straight-line engine. I want to experience the process of designing something digitally and testing it in metal, and then attempt to make it with tools that have a deeper cut. Another item with some learning curve and tooling up will be to enamel using transparent enamels. I will also be making pieces that are engraved by the Cameo, engine engraved on the straight-line and rose engines, tooled with Repoussé, domed and finally enameled in places. All on the same piece. Just because I can and I want to see what this looks like.

Making these designs for end caps forces me to a 1" diameter canvas, which would seem to limit what I can do. Instead I am finding this to be limitless. And engaging! My flute production rate is suffering as I would rather spend time in the warm house where I am set up to do this, than out in the cold workshop. But then I am always this way in January and February, and like to spend those months in the deep rainy part of winter here focusing on new ideas. Rather than starting the new year full of energy, I am especially exhausted from the Fall rush which finally ended for me mid-January! But I do have some 25 flutes currently in progress that will be out this month and next.

Enjoy!

Casey

The silver one on the lower right edge shows the deeper lines cut by a Rose Engine, in this case a Lindow Rose Engine - see http://www.lindowmachineworks.com. Also, one of these lathes that David makes ( see http://www.madelathe.com) will be in my neighborhood sometime by the end of February. My friend getting this is a retired shop teacher whose dad was essentially one of the "Don Drapers" of Wall Street. These beauties inspired by Holtzapfel aren't cheap or easy to build. This will be David's 6th. My friend Peter is in high demand for teaching amongst the ornamental lathe community and has an amazing workshop. He's in there advancing his skills and the technology daily when he is not off teaching. His ornamental turning work is actually some of the most tasteful I've seen.

Here is an example of one of these domes mounted on a prototype endcap. This seashell design (un-dimpled) would work for pad cups. Am about to test this!
Image Image