What tunes requiring keys are played at your local sessions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unai
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm Unai, I play irish flute and traditional basque instruments (txistu & alboka). I follow this site for years and I'd like to have an acount now, so I can participate in discussions. Thanks!

Re: What tunes requiring keys are played at your local sessi

Post by Unai »

Hi,

we play Mc Faddens handsome daughter and The Boys of Malin, both in Amaj I think, with G#s
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Unai wrote:Hi,

we play Mc Faddens handsome daughter and The Boys of Malin, both in Amaj I think, with G#s
Yes. Both pretty easy though, especially The Boys of Malin.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I'm not a big fan of whistles, but I've started practicing some tunes like Julia Delaney's on a Syn C whistle, for the tunes I can't play easily on my keyless D flute. Just fingering it like it's in Edor.

Not very practical for sessions though, unless it's a whole set in Ddor where I set the flute aside. Does anyone else do this, grabbing a whistle for an out-of-range key or mode? Seems a bit of a crutch.
Unai
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm Unai, I play irish flute and traditional basque instruments (txistu & alboka). I follow this site for years and I'd like to have an acount now, so I can participate in discussions. Thanks!

Post by Unai »

benhall.1 wrote:

well I'm quite new to flute so there is nothing really easy for me :) those two & Frnak's reel are the only three we play and where I use a key, just trying to lenghten the usual suspects list :wink:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Unai wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

well I'm quite new to flute so there is nothing really easy for me :) those two & Frnak's reel are the only three we play and where I use a key, just trying to lenghten the usual suspects list :wink:
I suppose what I was thinking was that I find Frank's, which only has that G# every now and then, somehow noticeably more awkward than The Boys of Malin. Silly of me, probably ...
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I'm still working up Franks. I'm still trying to work through the rhythmic issues.

Stan Chapmans is one of the easier A tunes for me.

Road to Eroggie in A isn't that bad, and has the advantage of letting you work on that high C# note.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

tstermitz wrote:I'm still working up Franks. I'm still trying to work through the rhythmic issues.
It's a funny thing, but I don't find the rhythmic issues a problem. It took me a while to get those G#s, especially a bit where, in the tune as I learnt it, there is a triplet up in the second octave - f#g#a - followed by e. That bit's hard. For me, at least. I think the rhythm thing in this reel never really came into it, because I have the tune stuck so firmly in my head, so it just kind of does what it does. If that makes sense.
Unai

Post by Unai »

benhall.1 wrote: I suppose what I was thinking was that I find Frank's, which only has that G# every now and then, somehow noticeably more awkward than The Boys of Malin. Silly of me, probably ...
nothing silly; awkwardness and difficulty of a tune is relative