Happy, excited owner of a new (old) Firth Pond & Co.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Happy, excited owner of a new (old) Firth Pond & Co.

Post by tstermitz »

I'm so excited to have found a cocus, 8-key Firth Pond & CO Flute, complete with original case.

It's in excellent, fully playable shape. In tune at A=440. Nice tone with a crisp edge. Embouchure is not as forgiving as my Solen Lesouef, i.e. I have to work a little harder.

I'm guessing it was made right around 1848, as that is when William Hall split from Firth, Pond and Hall. This is virtually identical (minus one detail) to a William Hall described at Terry McGee's site. Stephen Foster played just such a flute.

The F# and E notes play a little flat, but using the Eb key opens their voice and trues up the intonation. That's the way these flutes were designed. But, damn if it isn't hard to break old habits around the right-hand pinky finger. It's like I have to relearn every tune!

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Happy, excited owner of a new (old) Firth Pond & Co.

Post by s1m0n »

Congratulation! It looks like a handsome flute. What's with the bottle wrench?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Congratulations! Looks very nice. I like the key work. Is the head joint crack stable or does it need fixing? Are you going to remove the cork and use thread, or will you use cork on the the other tenons?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Steampacket wrote:Is the head joint crack stable or does it need fixing?
I gave both pictures a good looking-over, and (perhaps because I'm not a flautist) didn't notice a crack.

It's a nice-looking flute, but almost certainly not the type of instrument that I'd attempt to play!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Agreed, I see no crack in the HJ. Lovely flute.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, you're right Dan A. & Loren, there is no crack. I thought there was a repaired crack through the embouchure hole, but after magnifying the photo I see there is no crack. It was just the lighting reflected on the flute :thumbsup:
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Thanks everyone. I bought it from a classical musician who specializes in baroque music, and didn't want to keep up with so many different fingerings.

No cracks that I can see; probably just reflections or dust.

Only repair I've found is some reinforcement or rebuilding of the second hole. There's a little extra material glued or tacked inside the hole. I imagine that isn't a very easy thing to fix.

The threaded joint is working fine, so I don't feel any need to change that. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I like the intimacy and immediacy of a keyless flute, but really wanted a better capability of hitting the accidentals. Half-holing works pretty well on whistle, but isn't that easy on flute. Half-holed Eb is so veiled it is no more than a shading of the E note.

Key of A is now pretty easy (or it will be when I get in practice). Key of E is surprisingly easy. Not sure about the flat keys - I find cross-fingered Bb easier than using the key. If I was buying a keyless flute, I would definitely add an Eb key, but then you start down that road, and I'd want a G#... I'm used to cross-fingering the Cnat.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe you will find yourself getting used to the keys pretty quickly. A bit of
practice.... I don't quite need them, but they really help.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

tstermitz wrote:
Only repair I've found is some reinforcement or rebuilding of the second hole. There's a little extra material glued or tacked inside the hole. I imagine that isn't a very easy thing to fix.
Yes, it looks like the hole has been “sized Down” so to speak, most likely to change the tuning/scale, which is not all that uncommon. The original hole appears to have been properly drilled so I wouldn’t expect that this is a correction of a mistake during manufacture, and I see no evidence of damage to the original tone hole.

People somewhere down the road a few years often decide they don’t like the original tuning scale of the instrument, which is always a compromise of sorts. Of course the scale will not be what the maker intended if you play the flute without using the fingerings/ventings intended, or if you play with A tuned to A=440 when it was designed for a different pitch, and these are the things that often lead to people requesting work such as that seen here.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

What a beauty! As you say, it looks quite a bit like my go-to Wm Hall and Son's flute, except being 8 key instead of 6 key and cocus rather than grenadilia. If it plays like mine, I predict you will learn to really treasure it.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I've measured a number of these. These are actually great flutes and often under appreciated.