WTB: Flute-playing pony

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: WTB: Flute-playing pony

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:I've read that in the zoo in Gaza, there are mules cleverly painted to look like zebras.
And so it is:

Well... donkey, mule, who's counting. But cleverly? Of course I know your meaning, Jim, but I was hoping for a touch more verité than a barber pole on legs. As long as the children are happy, I suppose.

Oh, and by the way: those are some awfully bony hips, there. When it keels over they can always say it succumbed to zebrosis.
AaronFW wrote:
Brus wrote:People say unicorns don't exist but ....

Have you ever seen a hippopotamus? It's a fat unicorn!
Um... Can you show me a hippopotamus with a horn?
Had me scratching my head for a while there, too, but I suddenly think I get it now. Brus must have meant rhinoceroses.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:
AaronFW wrote:
Brus wrote:People say unicorns don't exist but ....

Have you ever seen a hippopotamus? It's a fat unicorn!
Um... Can you show me a hippopotamus with a horn?
Had me scratching my head for a while there, too, but I suddenly think I get it now. Brus must have meant rhinoceroses.

Also, apparently "Siberian Unicorns" are a thing. Or... were a thing.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AaronFW wrote:Also, apparently "Siberian Unicorns" are a thing. Or... were a thing.
Whoa, that one's a bit big for me!

So, never mind the thread drift, has anyone got what I asked for? Flute-playing Shetland pony or possibly musical miniature unicorn (living, not toy). And why do we read WTB posts?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Peter Duggan wrote:
AaronFW wrote:Also, apparently "Siberian Unicorns" are a thing. Or... were a thing.
Whoa, that one's a bit big for me!

So, never mind the thread drift, has anyone got what I asked for? Flute-playing Shetland pony or possibly musical miniature unicorn (living, not toy). And why do we read WTB posts?

Sorry, we can't help you. This forum is really for people interested in Flute-playing Highland ponies. You'll need to find another forum about Flute-playing Shetland ponies.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AaronFW wrote:Sorry, we can't help you. This forum is really for people interested in Flute-playing Highland ponies. You'll need to find another forum about Flute-playing Shetland ponies.
... and anyway, all the ponies in Shetland play fiddle. They even provide materials to rehair each others' bows.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Peter Duggan wrote: So, never mind the thread drift, has anyone got what I asked for?
Sorry. I think you'll have to make your own.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:and anyway, all the ponies in Shetland play fiddle.
OK, I'll accept a Shetland-fiddling pony if anyone's got one so long as he/she comes with a suitably-sized fiddle.
They even provide materials to rehair each others' bows.
True story (AFAIK)... many years ago a late fiddle-playing/sailing friend of mine and colleague of my father's dropped his bow (which quickly sank!) from a yacht anchored at Loch na Droma Buidhe (Loch Drumbuie), not that far from the somewhat more kenspeckle haven of Tobermory at the north end of the Sound of Mull. So he set off ashore to look for a horse, but was told at the small steading there they didn't have one, and given instead about a quarter to a third of the usual quantity of hairs from the lady of the house's long-haired niece. Since Pernambuco wood doesn't grow here, he also had to substitute what he could find, but was able to fashion a usable bow from his elder stick and human hair with a traditional thumb wedge to keep the hair taut. His account of the incident, where he describes the sound as 'whispery, ethereal', was published by the RNLI in December 1991 with article title of 'Bow Down in Loch Drumbuy'.

Now you might have alarm bells ringing 'tall tale' (especially with RNLI series title 'Spinning a Yarn'), but I knew this guy, discussed it with him, and believe every word of it!

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

We have a flute-playing PONY here, whether its for sale or not is to be determined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfiLyAJUZN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-c6r3CeXwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQqQCLz5eE

And staying on thread Topic listen in to PONY for suitability.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQPR4P ... KFDPfKJGvQ
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:We have a flute-playing PONY here, whether its for sale or not is to be determined.

I've just spent the whole of that first video wondering if/why you were calling Joanie Madden a pony before I worked it out! Now to check the others...
Edit: and no flute in this one!

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Peter Duggan wrote:
ytliek wrote:We have a flute-playing PONY here, whether its for sale or not is to be determined.

I've just spent the whole of that first video wondering if/why you were calling Joanie Madden a pony before I worked it out! Now to check the others...
Absolutely not calling JoanieM a pony. The PONY is the whole package.
Peter Duggan wrote:
Edit: and no flute in this one!
Fipple-flute here may be a bit sweet for your particular needs. There are flutes and then there flutes.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:Fipple-flute here may be a bit sweet for your particular needs.
Or too fiddly (no pun!) for the pony. In which case Joanie's flute keys might help, though I notice she's playing with perforated plates.

Edit: yay, my topic's overtaken Loren's in number of replies!
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

How my word-hoard has grown just these past few days! "Kenspeckle" and "steading" from Peter, and "autoschediasm" from TSC's latest album; "steading" was easy to intuit right off the bat, but "kenspeckle" and "autoschediasm"? Glittery, unknown things! In the end I'm unlikely to find much practical use for them; the first two from Peter are too dialectical to adopt for regular Yank use, and the last from TSC? No one should seriously use it at all - ever - but that's not the point: Now they're mine. I feel like Smaug. :twisted:

But I have to ask, Peter: What's a thumb wedge, and what makes it traditional?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:"Kenspeckle" and "steading" from Peter
Plus 'jobby' and 'chanty'?
too dialectical to adopt for regular Yank use
Not actually dialect at all, but national, if still maybe of limited value in Minnesota...
But I have to ask, Peter: What's a thumb wedge, and what makes it traditional?
To quote Nigel's article:
'Modern fiddle bows have a screwed system to adjust tension; the traditional way, however, is to keep the hair taut by maintaining thumb pressure on a small wedge which slides between the hair and the wood of the bow at the frog end. The chosen stick was cleaned up and shaped; as the only other materials necessary are glue, thread and rosin (and I already had these), I was able to finish off the bow before evening.'

So not clear if he means traditional as in 'trad' or just historical strings, but there you are.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:"Kenspeckle" and "steading" from Peter
Plus 'jobby' and 'chanty'?
"Chanty" I don't recall at all, so fill the gap, would you?

Fair play on "jobby", but when I generally mean "thing" I spell it "jobbie", so let us just propose that that makes all the difference. :wink:
Peter Duggan wrote:To quote Nigel's article:
'Modern fiddle bows have a screwed system to adjust tension; the traditional way, however, is to keep the hair taut by maintaining thumb pressure on a small wedge which slides between the hair and the wood of the bow at the frog end. The chosen stick was cleaned up and shaped; as the only other materials necessary are glue, thread and rosin (and I already had these), I was able to finish off the bow before evening.'
Thanks, Peter. I guessed as much, but Google was of no help at all.

And that story, folks, gives us a textbook example of an autoschediasm. Cobbling a makeshift fiddle bow out of human hair and an elder stick is exactly that, meaning a hasty improvisation. Or, as I like to poetically call it, pulling it outta yer ass. :D
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:"Chanty" I don't recall at all, so fill the gap, would you?
A chamber pot.
Fair play on "jobby", but when I generally mean "thing" I spell it "jobbie", so let us just propose that that makes all the difference. :wink:
Not when the plural of 'jobby' is 'jobbies' and some Scots probably use the 'ie' anyway, like we have both 'granny' and 'grannie' (singular)!

Master of nine?