WTB: Flute-playing pony

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: WTB: Flute-playing pony

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:"Chanty" I don't recall at all, so fill the gap, would you?
A chamber pot.
Okay, I'm pretty sure I have a vague memory of it now, but it didn't stick. Might be because I wouldn't expect to have any reason to ask for a chamber pot in Scotland in this day and age; what I would expect is funny looks, either for asking for technology long gone, or for even knowing the word at all. They'd think I was just a weee too close for good balance. So, you discard things. But how's the "ch" pronounced in this case? Same as in the nautical context, which in my circles is "sh"?

Next time I go to the local Scottish fair I'll bandy these words about, and we'll see how our Caledoniphiles keep up. :twisted:
Peter Duggan wrote:
Fair play on "jobby", but when I generally mean "thing" I spell it "jobbie", so let us just propose that that makes all the difference. :wink:
Not when the plural of 'jobby' is 'jobbies' and some Scots probably use the 'ie' anyway, like we have both 'granny' and 'grannie' (singular)!
Much room for confusion, especially when "y" and "ie" can make my intended meaning change with no consistency whatsoever: My usual habit is 'ie" for nouns and "y" for adjectives (respectively, "little fishie" vs. "rather fishy" or "come here, horsie" vs. "the horsey set", for example) but I would want to spell it "granny" every time!

But do I throw in the towel? Never.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician