Similiar flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
timedriver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking to learn more about flutes and upgrading. retired and have alot of time on my hands. Have played numerous instraments in the past.

Similiar flute

Post by timedriver »

I'm currently playing with a Yamaha YFL 222, and want to upgrade. I love the tone of this Yamaha 481 thats discontinued in the link below. He also has a Powell "soloist" head joint on this flute. Can anybody recommend a flute without a 3rd party head joint that has that fat dark sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uurnt29 ... urnt29Rp2k

Thanx in advance
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Similiar flute

Post by s1m0n »

You might be better off finding a classical flute website or forum to ask. We mostly play non-Boehm system wooden flutes here.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Twain is a marvelous jazz flutist. He does get a marvelous sound out of his flute. I have followed him for several years. But on this forum, the group emphasis is on playing primarily wooden non-Boehm Style flutes. I would add, that although we do have a fair number of players who are 'on the quest for the perfect flute', their idea of a perfect flute would be very different from yours. And, we also have a fair number of players who feel that the sound you get from a flute is the result of what you as a player bring to that flute. No matter which flute a player might pick up, the sound he gets will be his sound, the end result of years of developing and strengthening his embouchure. That is to say, you cannot 'buy' a sound on your flute except with the currency of hard work,sweat, and years of effort.
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

sorry for a double post.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

timedriver wrote:I'm currently playing with a Yamaha YFL 222, and want to upgrade. I love the tone of this Yamaha 481 thats discontinued in the link below. He also has a Powell "soloist" head joint on this flute. Can anybody recommend a flute without a 3rd party head joint that has that fat dark sound?

Thanx in advance
Hello timedriver,

I own a Trevor James Privilege (http://tjflutes.com) that has worked out for me quite well. Trevor James also markets their flutes toward Jazz artists as well, so it may be something worth looking into.

They used to sell a completely wooden headjoint, but it is likely that due to restrictions on Blackwood, they have discontinued it.

I've been quite pleased with the flute that I've had and my teachers have complimented it too.

In regards to tone, an seanduine is right, most of the tone quality is going to be produced by the player. I previously played bamboo flutes and when I moved to the Boehm flute, I was able to have a very good tone and a few people have even commented that my playing sounds as though I were playing a wooden flute. I honestly think playing the bamboo flute is what has enabled me to have good tone. If you wanted to pursue that direction, we could probably start pointing you in the right direction. (First, with the recommendation not to buy junky bamboo flutes off ebay, etc.; and maybe specific makers)

So I recommended Trevor James because, for me, they seem to provide quality flutes that can help you get the tone that you are looking for. However, there will also need to be work on your part to achieve that tone.

One way that this forum can provide you help is if you want to discuss how to play a flute in a manner to get a fat tone. However, that is really better achieved with a teacher. Especially with a Boehm style flute, there are some small things that can be tweaked that make a large difference... I've had an instructor who specializes in tone and helping students get great tone. If you would like, I could get you in contact with him.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AaronFW wrote:I own a Trevor James Privilege (http://tjflutes.com) that has worked out for me quite well.
Ha, I have a Trevor James Virtuoso (which is basically the same thing in solid silver) I bought secondhand from Arthur Haswell a couple of years ago when I went to try Rudall Cartes. I bought an expensive RC but also really liked the (much cheaper) TJ, so got him to send me that afterwards with notions of playing both, then sold the RC again as not currently justifying its price for me. I may well revisit RCs or other non-metal Boehms again sometime for the beauty of the classic instrument and the things it does well, but the TJ Virtuoso's really all the Boehm flute I need.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
timedriver
Tell us something.: Looking to learn more about flutes and upgrading. retired and have alot of time on my hands. Have played numerous instraments in the past.

Post by timedriver »

AaronFW wrote:
timedriver wrote:I'm currently playing with a Yamaha YFL 222, and want to upgrade. I love the tone of this Yamaha 481 thats discontinued in the link below. He also has a Powell "soloist" head joint on this flute. Can anybody recommend a flute without a 3rd party head joint that has that fat dark sound?

Thanx in advance
Hello timedriver,

I own a Trevor James Privilege (http://tjflutes.com) that has worked out for me quite well. Trevor James also markets their flutes toward Jazz artists as well, so it may be something worth looking into.

They used to sell a completely wooden headjoint, but it is likely that due to restrictions on Blackwood, they have discontinued it.

I've been quite pleased with the flute that I've had and my teachers have complimented it too.

In regards to tone, an seanduine is right, most of the tone quality is going to be produced by the player. I previously played bamboo flutes and when I moved to the Boehm flute, I was able to have a very good tone and a few people have even commented that my playing sounds as though I were playing a wooden flute. I honestly think playing the bamboo flute is what has enabled me to have good tone. If you wanted to pursue that direction, we could probably start pointing you in the right direction. (First, with the recommendation not to buy junky bamboo flutes off ebay, etc.; and maybe specific makers)

So I recommended Trevor James because, for me, they seem to provide quality flutes that can help you get the tone that you are looking for. However, there will also need to be work on your part to achieve that tone.

One way that this forum can provide you help is if you want to discuss how to play a flute in a manner to get a fat tone. However, that is really better achieved with a teacher. Especially with a Boehm style flute, there are some small things that can be tweaked that make a large difference... I've had an instructor who specializes in tone and helping students get great tone. If you would like, I could get you in contact with him.
I played some of "erik the flutemaker" bamboo as well as carbon fiber flutes previously. Thanx for your suggestions.
timedriver

Post by timedriver »

Thanx for everyones speedy responses.
David
W6DLB
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

timedriver wrote: I played some of "erik the flutemaker" bamboo as well as carbon fiber flutes previously. Thanx for your suggestions.
Sure, you are welcome.

One other thing I feel like that is worth mentioning is that many flute-making companies these days have a lot of options in regards to trying instruments before you buy them.

...While we might not be able to suggest a particular flute, it may be worthwhile to contact a local flute dealer regarding what you are looking for. In my experience, it is possible to find people who simply specialize in flutes and sell from multiple makers. Alternatively, if you need to find a dealer or want someone else's opinion, I would suggest looking at the directory of a University in a city near you and contacting the Flute instructor. Very likely, they may be able to point you further in the direction you are looking for or get you in contact with a dealer.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

an seanduine wrote:Twain is a marvelous jazz flutist. He does get a marvelous sound out of his flute. I have followed him for several years. But on this forum, the group emphasis is on playing primarily wooden non-Boehm Style flutes. I would add, that although we do have a fair number of players who are 'on the quest for the perfect flute', their idea of a perfect flute would be very different from yours. And, we also have a fair number of players who feel that the sound you get from a flute is the result of what you as a player bring to that flute. No matter which flute a player might pick up, the sound he gets will be his sound, the end result of years of developing and strengthening his embouchure. That is to say, you cannot 'buy' a sound on your flute except with the currency of hard work,sweat, and years of effort.
Bob

Since the OP posted on this forum, which is mainly concerned with simple system wooden flutes, I'd like to recommend this flute: https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... pane-6-key which according to Google is somewhere close to the Yamaha 481 in price.

Study this page: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Getting_the ... k_tone.htm and "hard work,sweat, and years of effort"

And maybe you can sound like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvUGXP-xJ7I

:twisted: :poke:
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Timedriver, you might check out a thread by LorenzoFlute, 9/27/17, "Delrin Headjoints for Boehm Flutes." Lorenzo, who resides in Germany, is currently making and selling Delrin headjoints. I own a Yamaha Flute, and I recently bought one of his headjoints. My headjoint fit very well and needed no adjustments. The fit was good because Lorenzo has made the headjoints to fit the Yamaha Flute that he owns. That same headjoint does not fit my Pearl Flute at all. I'm very pleased with the headjoint I received from Lorenzo and it really does change the sound of the metal flute, sounds more like my wood Simple System flutes--so I was very pleased. The price of the headjoints is also very reasonable in my opinion. It was very difficult to find a Blackwood headjoint, I was not successful due, I think, to recent restrictions on Blackwood. If interested, you might try contacting Lorenzo and discussing your particular interest and needs. I would suggest sending him accurate measurements of the tenon that receives the headjoint, including the depth of the receiving tenon.
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Grenaditte head joints by Guo... I have a Buffett flute but a Guo Grenaditte headjoint... it makes a whole world of difference for the better.
I did have a Guo Grenaditte flute but I found I preferred the silver flute with Guo headjoint.
For me that’s the way to go .
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
paddler

Post by paddler »

Geoffrey Ellis (a regular on this forum) also makes excellent wooden, delrin and ebonite head joints for Boehm flutes.
They can be custom fit to a wide range of makes/models of flute.

You can learn more here.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Check the Di Zhao mid and upper range intermediate flutes (400, 500, 600, 700) with the silver heads.

The Guo Grenadette also has a more dark and woody tone than metal flutes, but retains the keywork, and gets good reviews, but is $$$:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZn3p81J_E