Why do you read WTB posts?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Why do you read WTB posts?

Post by Loren »

Yesterday I put up a WTB post on the UIE forum. In roughly 24hrs there have been 80+ views, but no PM’s regarding what I’m looking for. Now this doesn’t surprise me as Delrin John Gallagher flutes aren’t super numerous in the wild, and I imagine most owners tend to hang onto them. But it did get me thinking, because I’ve seen this a bunch of times before: Why do people who don’t even own the particular flute being requested, go ahead and read the WTB posts?

If it sounds like I’m bothered, that’s not the case, just curious. Feel free to share your reasons if you care to. I’m less interested in hearing people speculate on why they believe others read the WTB’s, I can speculate just fine on my own, thanks :P
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Why do you read WTB posts?

Post by Peter Duggan »

I just read most, but not all, things I see here. Probably because I'm interested/curious, follow through 'active topics' rather than specific forums and rarely find too much to keep up with if I want to. Perhaps I also learn more about the participants through doing so, which then helps inform my contributions to discussions with them about other things.

Might add that I understand my own posts in turn are likely to get views from people only peripherally interested in them!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Loren wrote:Yesterday I put up a WTB post on the UIE forum. In roughly 24hrs there have been 80+ views, but no PM’s regarding what I’m looking for. Now this doesn’t surprise me as Delrin John Gallagher flutes aren’t super numerous in the wild, and I imagine most owners tend to hang onto them. But it did get me thinking, because I’ve seen this a bunch of times before: Why do people who don’t even own the particular flute being requested, go ahead and read the WTB posts?

If it sounds like I’m bothered, that’s not the case, just curious. Feel free to share your reasons if you care to. I’m less interested in hearing people speculate on why they believe others read the WTB’s, I can speculate just fine on my own, thanks :P
For me, Chiff and Fipple is my social media. I check the forums excessively, and when I read everything new in one subforum, I start reading other subforums. I have a problem.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Peter, well I’m glad you did read my post, because you helped me learn something about our PM system :thumbsup:

Aaron, I can relate: In the early days of C&F it was my social media as well, and I had the same problem, lol.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:I have a problem.
We already determined that. :lol:

But seriously, C&F is pretty much the extent of my social media, too, unless you count email and texting. I decline to ponder it.

I don't normally read WTB topics myself, so I find Loren's question interesting.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

I have been interested in getting one myself and wanted to see who the other weirdo was :D
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mladen wrote:I have been interested in getting one myself and wanted to see who the other weirdo was :D
:lol:
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Mladen wrote:I have been interested in getting one myself and wanted to see who the other weirdo was :D
You could see that without reading it! :P

Perhaps we just feel we might be missing something when we don't? But, seriously, I think curiosity can bring a better feel for what's out there, how people rate things, why they might want them (in Loren's case I have a good idea why Delrin) and what makes them tick...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

In my case, it's merely a matter of getting a post to show up as read. Which raises a question: if I instead mark forums as read, does that count as viewing the posts anyway?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:Which raises a question: if I instead mark forums as read, does that count as viewing the posts anyway?
Do you mean, does that numerically raise the count? It never occurred to me to check, but off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:Do you mean, does that numerically raise the count?
Yes. For instance, if a post has 100 views, and I use the "mark forums read" link without actually reading the post, does it then show as having 101 views?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Do you mean, does that numerically raise the count?
Yes. For instance, if a post has 100 views, and I use the "mark forums read" link without actually reading the post, does it then show as having 101 views?
God, I hope not. That would mean every topic's read count goes up. No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because with the potential for numerous members doing the same thing, that would make a wildly inaccurate statistic. I'm confident that clicking on a thread is the only way the read count rises. After some initial confusion myself, I've always interpreted "Mark forums/topics read" to mean, "Mark forums/topics as read"; IOW, "unmark the unread topics". It is clumsy English, isn't it.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:God, I hope not. That would mean every topic's read count goes up. No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because with the potential for numerous members doing the same thing, that would make a wildly inaccurate statistic. I'm confident that clicking on a thread is the only way the read count rises.
That's what I would think, also. Otherwise, as you said, the statistics would be inaccurate that they were simultaneously meaningless and useless.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I just ran out of internet.. And now I am reading a "why do you read WTB posts" post. :-)

Ketil
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ketil wrote:I just ran out of internet.. And now I am reading a "why do you read WTB posts" post. :-)

Ketil
I probably deserve that :tomato: