Righty/lefty keyless flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Righty/lefty keyless flutes

Post by Steve Bliven »

Another question from a fount of ignorance: When flutemakers cut the embouchure on a keyless flute, are they cut so they can play either right- or left-handed? Or does it vary among flutemakers with some making flutes that can be played from either side and some making ones that can only be played one way?

I'm not thinking of switching, just curious.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Righty/lefty keyless flutes

Post by Holmes »

Hello Steve

Flutemakers (I've not measured them all) tend to cut the front and back "face" of the nozzle differently (my irreverent word to replace the rather grand sounding "embouchure"), therefore a left handed flute would need to have a left handed nozzle.

I've never measured an "original" left hand flute but I surmise that it would be the case in past times too.

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/tom- ... s-bb-flute
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Holmes wrote:Flutemakers ... tend to cut the front and back "face" of the nozzle differently
Thanks for the response.

Does that mean that the not-used side is kinda generic and the to-be-used side is more refined in its detailing? (My words are even more irreverent than yours.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

I'm sure there is a lot of variation. I have seen some makers keep the chimney wall (of the nozzle) fairly consistent front and back but usually with some variation. We, for example have quite a different back and front face on the internal wall. Ours would need to be made differently for left/right hand players.

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/clar ... -a-whistle
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Geoffrey Ellis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I cut the embouchure to be optimized for right handed play. The flute can certainly be turned around and played the other direction, but might not have exactly the same response. Each side is pretty similar but I do a bit extra to the side with the blowing edge. But having said that, they are quite close. If a left-handed player bought one of my flutes and played it left-handed they might never know the difference.